This Day In History Dec. 1 - 7, 2013
(changes weekly; click on title above or on the month navigation link for previous entries on Presbyterian history)
On Dec. 2, 1777, James Francis Armstrong was chosen chaplain for General Sullivan's
brigade or division and applied for ordination from the Presbytery of Newcastle.
After a Presbytery examination, Rev. Armstrong was ordained on Jan. 14, 1778. He was confirmed by action of the Continental Congress on July 17, 1778, to "be appointed chaplain of the Second Brigade of Maryland forces." Rev. Armstrong served through the Yorktown victory in October 1781. After the Revolutionary War, Rev. Armstrong accepted a call to the Presbyterian Church in Trenton, New Jersey.
On Dec. 4, 1861, 93 commissioners from 47 presbyteries met in Augusta, Georgia, to form the Presbyterian Church in the Confederate States of America(later known as the Presbyterian Church in the United States). The meeting was held at the First Presbyterian Church, where the Rev. Joseph Ruggles Wilson (1822 - 1903) was pastor. At the time, he also was the father of five-year-old Woodrow Wilson, future President of the United States. This southern branch remained separate until 1983, when it reunited with the northern branch, the United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A., to form today's Presbyterian Church of the United States of America.
On Dec. 5, 1836, The New York Theological Seminary (chartered in 1839 as Union Theological Seminary) in New York City opened its doors for teaching. On that day, 13 students appeared at the President's (Rev. Thomas McAuley) house at No. 112 Leonard Street to enroll and start a class.
During the first week of December, numerous Presbyterian ministers have been appointed to serve as chaplain to either the U.S. Senate or U.S. House of Representatives. Click on December This Day in History to learn more.
A Member of the American Alliance of Museums
(formerly American Association of Museums)
American Association of
State and Local History
North Carolina Museums Council
Presbyterian Heritage Center Independent. Innovative. Interactive. Montreat Map
December - March (winter hours) Fri. 10 am - 4pm;
Sat. 1 - 4 pm; Sun. 1:30 - 4 pm.
or by appointment (828-669-6556)
Treasures at the PHC - 1800s African Trade Beads
Among the items recently donated to the PHC in the McCutcheon Collection are cobalt-blue glass trade beads, circa 1800s or earlier, from Bibanga (Congo) that were collected by Presbyterian missionaries. Click on picture for a larger image.
Used by Dutch, Arab and other traders, African trade beads ranged from plain to highly decorative depending on the time era. Such plain beads were often exchanged for goods such as palm oil, gold, and ivory or services. In some African regions during the 17th to mid-19th centuries, some beads were traded for slaves. Joyful, Joyful: Psalters & Hymnals, a 500 year Musical Journey Exhibit
A new exhibit now is open featuring 500 years of rare psalers, hymnals and shape note tune books. Coffee and refreshments will be served.
begins with Martin Luther's first psalter/hymnal in 1524 through this year's new Presbyterian Church (USA) hymnal Glory to God: The Presbyterian Hymnal, as well as Lift Up Your Hearts in Song, the new 2013 hymnal for the Christian Reformed Church and the Reformed Church in America. A new shaped-note pamphlet has been produced by the PHC for the exhibit. You can see and print a PDF file here.
On display until Fall 2014, the collections features rare shaped-note hymnals, special events, little known facts, musical recordings and artifacts over the centuries.
Psalm 100 is shown from the Sternhold & Hopkins psalter (1567), which was the first English-language volume for congregational singing.
Pottery from the Holy Land (2,000 to 5,000 years old) exhibit is now open. Beginning in August, visitors to the PHC will have an chance to participate in an "archaelogical dig" to uncover and assemble shards of replica pottery from the Holy Land. The exhibit runs until late Spring 2014.
On the Air & In The Movies: The 20th Century History of Presbyterians in Broadcasting& Communications
A new exhibit is open highlighting Presbyterian innovations in communications during the 20th century, this exhibit covers the 1910 telephone system to listen to sermons at local Presbyterian churches to the first religious broadcasting station 1921 to the Protestant Radio & Television Center. With the permission of the Fred Rogers Company, we also will highlight Fred Rogers, ordained Presbyterian minister and PBS television host of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. (Photo courtesy of the Fred Rogers Company).
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King in August 1965 Montreat Address (click for audio excerpt of 3 min. 27 sec. on his personal faith; made to a Montreat conference on August 21st, 1965) just after returning from Los Angeles and the Watts Riots aftermath.
85 Years of Preserving & Displaying History
in Montreat Historical Foundation to the PHC
An ever-changing exhibit on the history of the Historical Foundation and the Presbyterian Heritage Center continues through 2014. The exhibit displays treasures from our artifact and photographic collections that are rarely seen. New items are brought out each month.
Presbyterian Missionaries and Ministers Databases
being uploaded to this site, under Bios tab above. You also can click here. These databases are starting with early ministers and missionaries (pre-1860)
and are being researched by teams of volunteers and staff at the Presbyterian Heritage Center. If you have biographical information on ministers and misionaries, and especially photos, please email us.
World-renowned speakers from Scotland, Canada and the United States will appear at the John Knox 500 symposium.
Click the front page image to view a PDF file of the Spring 2013 issue (below) of The Herald, newsletter for the Presbyterian Heritage Center.
Digital Processing We are computerizing our library collection of more than 35,000 volumes in a database catalog.
The PHC also is digitizing a wide range of materials - cassette tapes, records, photos and books for future use online. We appreciate your financial support and donations of artifacts, photos and documents.