Biographies are developed by PHC volunteers and staff from original research and from various published sources, such as 1884 "Encyclopedia of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America," by Alfred Nevin. This list is constantly being updated. Corrections and additional materials, such as photos or drawings will be made from time to time. There also is a missionary biographical listing being prepared for this web site. During 2010, there will be a master index of ministers and missionaries to aid in searches. Thanks for your patience. Please email additional information or pictures to the PHC.
Biographical Index of Ministers Ba - Bl
The Rev. Wilbur Backus
(November 9, 1788 - September 29, 1818)
The Rev. Wilbur Backus was born in Richmond, Mass., November 9, 1788, and graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1813 and at Princeton Theological Seminary in 1816. Immediately after this, having been licensed to preach the gospel in April of that year, he, in company with Mr.--afterwards the Rev. Dr.--Gilbert, set out on a mission through Virginia, Ohio and Illinois Territory, which they closed in February 1817. On his return, he preached five months to the Presbyterian congregation at Dayton, Ohio. After leaving Dayton, he labored, for a while, under the direction of the Philadelphia Missionary Society, and afterwards supplied, for a considerable time, Dr. McDowell's pulpit, at Elizabethtown, N. J. On August 27, 1818, he was installed pastor of the church in Dayton. He died on September 29, 1818.
The Rev. Joseph Badger
(February 28, 1757 - April 5, 1846)
The Rev. Joseph Badger was a missionary of the Western Reserve and one of the pioneers to regions further west. Mr. Badger was born in Wilbraham, Mass., February 28, 1757. At the age of eighteen he entered the army and continued in military service several years. After his conversion, he entered Yale College, in 1781, as a freshman. He graduated in the fall of 1783.
The next year Mr. Badger taught school and studied theology under the Rev. Mark Leavenworth and in due course was licensed to preach the gospel by the New Haven Association. After serving several churches in Connecticut, until October 24, 1800, he accepted the commission of the Connecticut Missionary Society to labor as a missionary in the Western Reserve of Ohio, or New Connecticut, as it was then called. He started for his new field of labor, Youngstown, on November 15th, and was welcomed by the pastor, the Rev. William Wick. Here he began a series of labors leading him wherever the cabin of a settler was to be sought. By request of the Presbytery of Ohio he went, in company with the Rev. Thomas Edgar Hughes, as far as Maumee and Detroit, to consider the propriety of establishing a mission among the Indians.
Having returned to Connecticut, Mr. Badger made a report of his missionary operations to the Board and, on February 23, 1802, started with his family to the Western Reserve. He reached Austenburg, Ohio. He set out on a missionary tour that continued three months, when he returned home. These missionary tours continued until April 1803. At that time, he became a member of the Presbytery of Erie.
In 1806 Mr. Badger accepted a commission from the Western Missionary Society, located at Pittsburg, Pa., as a missionary to the Indians in the region of Sandusky, Ohio, for about four years. After resigning this commission in 1810, he moved to Ashtabula, Ohio, where, and in the neighboring settlements, he preached, deriving his support in part from the people, and in part from the Massachusetts Missionary Society. During the War of 1812 he was appointed brigade chaplain and postmaster of the army by General Harrison and served in this capacity until spring. He continued to preach in various places, without any regular support, until 1826. At that time he was placed on the pension roll of the War Department as a soldier of the Revolution. He was installed pastor of a small congregation in Gustavus, Trumbull County, Ohio, by the Presbytery of Grand River, in October 1826, and labored there until he resigned, due to declining health, June 26, 1835. He died on April 5, 1846.
The Rev. Charles Washington Baird, D.D.
(August 28, 1828 - February 10, 1887)
The Rev. Dr. Charles Washington Baird was the second son of the Rev. Robert Baird, D.D., born in Princeton, N. J., August 28, 1828. He was graduated at the University of the City of New York in 1848, and at the Union Theological Seminary in the same city, in 1852. From 1852 to 1854 he was Chaplain to the American Embassy in Rome, Italy. In 1861 he became pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Rye, Westchester County, N. Y.
In 1876 the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity was conferred upon him by his alma mater. He published many literary works, as the following list of his publications show: "Eutaxia or the Presbyterian Liturgies," 1855. A revised edition, under the title "A Chapter on Liturgies," was published in London, in 1856, by Rev. Thomas Binney. "A Book of Public Prayer," compiled from the Authorized Formularies of the Presbyterian Church, as prepared by Calvin, Knox, Bucer and others, 1857. "Chronicles of a Border Town: the History of Rye, N.Y., 1660-1870" 1871. "History of Bedford Church, New York," 1882. Several minor publications might be added to this list. Dr. Baird has also published translations of "Malan on Romanism" and of Merle d'Aubigne's "Discourses and Essays." He began "A History of the Huguenot Emigration to America." .
The Rev. Henry Martyn Baird, D.D., Ph.D.
(January 7, 1832 - November 11, 1906)
The Rev. Dr. Henry Martyn Baird was the son of Dr. Robert Baird and was born in Philadelphia, January 7, 1832. After being graduated from the University of the City of New York, in June 1850, he spent the years 1851-3 in Greece and Italy, in the former country studying at the University of Athens. On his return to this country, he studied theology at Union and Princeton Theological Seminaries, being graduated at the latter in 1856. From 1855 to 1859 he was Tutor of Greek in the College of New Jersey. In 1859 he was elected Professor of Greek Language and Literature at the University of New York. He was ordained to the gospel ministry in April 1866. In 1873 he was chosen Corresponding Secretary of the American and Foreign Christian Union. Besides a number of articles in the periodical press--the New Englander, Methodist Quarterly, etc. Dr. Baird was the author of "Modern Greece; A Narrative of a Residence and Travels in that Country," and of "The Life of Rev. Robert Baird, D.D."
The Rev. Robert Baird, D.D.
(October 6, 1798 - March 15, 1863)
The Rev. Dr. Robert Baird was born, October 6, 1798, in the neighborhood of Uniontown, Fayette County, Pa. He was graduated at Jefferson College, with high honor, in 1818, and studied theology at Princeton Seminary. During the third year of his theological course he was Tutor in the College of New Jersey (later Princeton). In 1822 he took charge of the Academy which had just been established at Princeton and retained his connection with it between five and six years. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick in 1822 and ordained by the same body in 1828 as an evangelist. For a time he engaged in missionary work as General Agent of the New Jersey Missionary Society. In 1829, he accepted the office of General Agent of the American Sunday School Union, which he filled for six years. In 1835, he entered upon the promotion of the interests of evangelical religion in the various countries of Continental Europe. He died, March 15, 1863.
Dr. Baird was the author of a number of works, both in this country and in Europe.
See also, his sons, Charles Washington Baird and Henry Martyn Baird.
The Rev. Samuel John Baird, D.D.
(September 12,1817 - April 10, 1893)
The Rev. Dr. Samuel John Baird is the son of the Rev. Thomas Dickson Baird, and was born at Newark, Ohio, in September 1817. In 1839, he took charge of a school near Abbeville, S.C., and subsequently opened a Female Seminary at Jeffersonville, La. He studied theology in the seminary at New Albany, Ind., and finished his literary training, which had been interrupted by feeble health at Jefferson College some years before, at Centre College, in 1843. After being licensed to preach the gospel, he devoted three years to the missionary work in the Presbytery of Baltimore, in Kentucky, and in the southwest. For three years he was pastor at Muscatine, Iowa, then pastor at Woodbury, N.J., until 1865. After resigning as pastor, he labored under a joint commission from the American Bible Society and the Virginia Bible Society as their agent in Virginia. In 1884, he resided at Covington, Ky. He was the author of "The Assembly's Digest," and a number of volumes, beside several articles contributed to the Danville, Southern and Princeton Reviews.
The Rev. Thomas Dickson Baird
(December 26, 1773 - January 7, 1839)
The Rev. Thomas Dickson Baird was the son of John and Elizabeth (Dickson) Baird, and was born near Guildford, County of Down, Ireland, December 26, 1773. He was a student of the school at Willington, S. C., of which Dr. Moses Waddel was the Principal, and for a time Tutor in the institution. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of South Carolina, April 8, 1812, and was installed pastor of the Broadway congregation at the village of Varennes, in what was then the Pendleton district, in May 1813. In connection with his duties there, he conducted a large and popular classical school. In 1815 he became pastor of the church in Newark, Ohio, and continued to labor there as both minister and teacher, for five years. In 1820 he became pastor of the church in Lebanon, Allegheny County, Pa., until disabled by laryngitis.
Mr. Baird’s work resulted in the establishment of the Western Foreign Missionary Society, whose mission, being transferred to the General Assembly, constituted the basis of the operations of its present Board. In 1831 he took the editorial charge of the Pittsburg Christian Herald (in 1884, the Presbyterian Banner). He died, January 7, 1839.
See also, his son, the Rev. Samuel John Baird.
The Rev. Daniel Baker, D.D.
(August 17, 1791 - December 10, 1857)
The Rev. Dr. Daniel Baker was born at Midway, Liberty County, Ga., August 17, 1791, the son of William Baker and his first wife. He graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1815; studied theology with the Rev. William Hill, of Winchester, Va., and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Winchester, in the autumn of 1816. The second Sabbath after his licensure he preached at Alexandria, holding services on Friday night, Saturday night, and three times on the Sabbath. He was settled in the church at Harrisonburg and New Erection, Va., where to increase his small salary, he also taught a private school. In 1821 he took charge of the Second Presbyterian Church of Washington City, where his inadequate support was supplemented by an income from a clerkship in the Land Office. Resigning his church in Washington, he became pastor of a church in Savannah, where he remained until 1831, when he began his career as an evangelist.
He served in at Beaufort, S. C. While pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Frankfort, Ky. (1834-36), he officiated for a considerable length of time as chaplain in the Penitentiary. He labored for a time at Galveston, Tex. He also worked on the frontier.
He subsequently became president of Austin College and resided in Huntsville, where this institution was located.
His "Revival Sermons" were reprinted in 1875 in England at the suggestion of Mr. Moody.
He died at Austin, Tex., December 10, 1857. He married Elizabeth McRobert, March 28, 1816, who was the granddaughter of Rev. Archibald McRobert. They had seven or more children.
The Rev. James Balch
(Dec. 25, 1750 - Jan. 12, 1821)
The Rev. James Balch was born in Deer Creek, Hartford County, Md., on December 25, 1750. The brother of Rev. Hezekiah James Balch, he was licnesed to preach by the Presbytery of Abington in 1787. He marked absent at the first meeting of the Synod of Kentucky at Lexington, Ky., in 1802 and was designated a member of the Presbytery of Transylvania. He transferred to the Presbytery of Cumberland in 1803. He was one of the first trustees of Greeneville (TN) College (now Tusculum College), which was founded in 1794. He died on January 12, 1821.
The Rev. Hezekiah Balch
(d. April 1810)
The Rev. Hezekiah Balch was born in Maryland but moved, when a child, to North Carolina. He graduated at the College of New Jersey in 1776, and for some time after this taught a school in Fanquier County, Va. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Castle in 1768 and ordained in 1770. He performed missionary work in Virginia and for one year preached in York, Pa. In 1784 he moved to Tennessee and, by reason of age and experience, took the lead in organizing churches. He obtained, in 1794, a charter for Greenville. He died in April 1810.
The Rev. Hezekiah James Balch
(1746 - 1776)
The Rev. Hezekiah James Balch was born in Deer Creek, Hartford County, Md., in 1746 and graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1766. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Donegal in 1767 or 1768, soon after which he moved to North Carolina. He was one of the leaders in the Mecklenburg Convention, and one of the committee that prepared the resolutions adopted by that Convention. Rev. Balch was the pastor of the two churches, Rocky River and Poplar Tent, around 1769. He was ordained in 1770 by the Presbytery of Donegal. He died in near the beginning of 1776.
The Rev. Stephen Bloomer Balch, D.D.
(April 5, 1747 - September 7, 1833)
The Rev. Dr. Stephen Bloomer Balch was a descendant of John Balch, who emigrated to New England at an early period, from Bridgewater, in England. A great grandson of his moved to Deer Creek, in Hartford County, Md., and there Stephen Bloomer Balch was born, April 5, 1747. While Balch was still young, his father moved with his family from Maryland and settled in Mecklenburg, N. C. He was admitted to the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1774 in the College of New Jersey and very soon after graduating became principal of the Lower Marlborough Academy, in Calvert County, Md., which position he held about four years. After being licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Donegal, June 17, 1779, he spent some months in traveling as a sort of missionary in the Carolinas. Declining a call to a congregation in North Carolina, he went in March 1780 to Georgetown, D. C., with a view to establish there a Presbyterian Church. He was ordained about April 11, 1782. Shortly after this he was instrumental in establishing a Presbyterian congregation in Fredericktown, Md. His Church in Georgetown rapidly increased as the village grew. To make his salary adequate to the support of his family he united teaching with the pastoral office. In 1831, Dr. Balch's house was completely destroyed by fire. His ministry in Georgetown extended through a period of fifty-three years. He died, September 7, 1833. He married Elizabeth Beall, granddaughter of Colonel George Beall, founder of the Georgetown hamlet in 1751. By her he had nine children, among them, Thomas Bloomer Balch.
The Rev. Thomas Bloomer Balch, D.D.
(February 28, 1793 - February 14, 1878)
The Rev. Dr. Thomas Bloomer Balch was a son of Elizabeth Beall and the Rev. Stephen Bloomer Balch. He was born at Georgetown, D. C., February 28, 1793. He was graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1813, studied theology at Princeton Seminary, and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Baltimore, October 31, 1816. From the spring of 1817 to the fall of 1819 he preached as assistant to his father, who was then in charge of the church at Georgetown, D. C., then spent nearly ten years as pastor of the churches of Snow Hill, Rehoboth, and Pitt's Creek, Md.; after which he lived four years in Fairfax County, Va., preaching as he had opportunity. Subsequently he supplied, for two years, the churches of Warrenton and Greenwich and was agent for the American Colonization Society. For nine months he supplied the church at Fredericksburg, Va., then Nokesville Church, four years, and Greenwich Church, two years. He died February 14, 1878. He married August 21, 1820, Susan Carter of Fairfax County, Va. Dr. Balch published several volumes.
The Rev. Samuel Baldridge
The Rev. Samuel Baldridge was received by the Presbytery of Washington of Kentucky and Ohio from the Presbytery of Abingdon of Tennessee in November 1810 and appointed to supply one half of his time on Whitewater and the other half on Lawrenceburgh. When the Presbytery of Miami was split off from Washington, he went with Miami but was readmitted to the Presbytery of Washington in 1814. He was stated supply for Washington, Ky., for half and for London for one quarter of his time. In 1816, he was made stated supply at London and Treacle's Creek. In 1818 he was dismissed to the Presbytery of Lancaster.
The Rev. Burr Baldwin
(1790 - 1882)
The Rev. Burr Baldwin was a minister for sixty-four years. He was educated at Yale and Andover. He organized the first Sabbath School in the United States, at Newark, N. J., on the first Sabbath in May, 1815, and this led to the organization of the American Colonization Society. Most of Mr. Baldwin's ministry was spent in northern Pennsylvania. For a number of years he was pastor of the Church of Montrose and stated clerk of the Presbytery of Susquehanna. He died in 1882.
The Rev. Elihu Whittlesey Baldwin, D.D.
(December 25, 1789 - 1840)
The Rev. Dr. Elihu Whittlesey Baldwin was born, December 25, 1789, in Durham, Greene County, N.Y., to which his parents had emigrated from Connecticut shortly after the Revolutionary War. He was graduated, with high honor, at Yale College, in September 1812, studied theology at Andover Seminary, and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Newburyport, May 1, 1817. Having accepted the place of a city missionary in New York, his labors resulted in the building of a place of worship and the formation of a church, which was received under the care of the Presbytery as the Seventh Presbyterian Church, of which he was installed pastor, December 25, 1820.
In 1835 he was recommended to the post of first President of Wabash College. Dr. Baldwin resigned as pastor on May 1, 1835. He began duties as President in the early part of November but was not inaugurated until the annual Commencement in July of the next year. His death occurred during his Presidency of Wabash College in 1840.
The Rev. Moses Baldwin
(b. pre 1738)
The Rev. Moses Baldwin was graduated from the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) and was a licentiate to preach the gospel under the care of the Presbytery of Suffolk, Long Island, N. Y., in 1758.
The Rev. Theron Baldwin
The Rev. Theron Baldwin was a minister in Jacksonville, Ill., in 1829 and attended the first meeting of the Presbytery of Centre of Illinois in that year.
The Rev. Eliphalet Ball
(pre 1728 - 1797)
The Rev. Eliphalet Ball was graduated at Yale in 1748 and was settled at Bedford, Long Island, January 2, 1754, and was a member of the Presbytery of Suffolk. He was dismissed, December 21, 1768, and when his successor resigned in 1772, he resumed the charge and remained until 1784. Having spent four years at Amity, in Woodbridge, Conn., he moved, with a part of the Bedford congregation, in 1788, to Saratoga County. The settlement was named Ball Town but has long since become widely known as Ballston. He died in 1797.
The Rev. Francis S. Ballentine
The Rev. Francis S. Ballentine was pastor of the Deerfield Presbyterian Church, N. J., from June 22, 1819, until June 8, 1824.
The Rev. James Barber
(July 25, 1794 - August 19, 1863)
The Rev. James Barber was born in Hanover County, Va., July 25, 1794, and attended Hampden-Sidney and the Associate Reformed Seminary in New York and Princeton Theological Seminary. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick and ordained by the Presbytery of Carlisle, September 28, 1826. He was stated supply and teacher at Hancock, 1826-29 and 1834-36; at Newton and Middletown, Pa., in 1831; at Port Republic, Va., 1831-32; Tygarts Valley, 1833-34; New Providence, Pa., 1836-1839; Shepherdstown (W.)Va., 1839. He was received by the Presbytery of Winchester from Redstone (Penn.) April 17, 1840, and was dismissed to the Presbytery of Columbus, September 4, 1857. He taught at Summit Point, 1840-53. He acted as agent for the Metropolitan Church in Washington, D. C., 1853-57. He died, August 19, 1863. He married Maria Llewellyn in 1822.
The Rev. Jonathan Barber, D.M.
(b pre 1735)
The Rev. Dr. Jonathan Barber had received a Master of Divinity degree from Yale College. He was ordained to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Suffolk, Long Island, N. Y., November 10, 1755.
The Rev. David Bard
(1750 - 1815)
The Rev. David Bard was born in Leesburg, Va., about 1750 and was graduated at Princeton in 1773. He studied divinity under a minister of the Presbytery of Donegal, but his name was not recorded. He was received by the Presbytery, April 9, 1776, licensed to preach the gospel, October 11, 1776, at Middle Spring, Pa. He itinerated in Pennsylvania and was minister to the Great Cove Church from October 21, 1778, to October 21, 1779. He was ordained June 16, 1779, as pastor-elect of Kittocktin and Gum Spring, April 12, 1780, to June 19, 1782, but to supply at Leesburg until fall. He was a charter member of the new Presbytery of Carlisle, May 22, 1786. He was pastor at Bedford, Pa., 1786 to 1789, Frankstown, Pa., 1790 to 99; charter member of the Presbytery of Huntingdon, April 14, 1795. He served as a Congressman from 1795 to 99 and 1803 to 1815, when he died. He was a constant supply minister during recesses of Congress, and at his death stated supply of Sinking Valley Church.
The Rev. Isaac Bard
(January 13, 1797 - June 29, 1878)
The Rev. Isaac Bard was born near Bardstown, Ky., January 13, 1797. He was admitted as a student in the Theological Seminary at Princeton upon a certificate from the Presbytery of Transylvania, in 1817 and licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick, April 27, 1820. In order to complete his education, he entered the senior class of Union College and was graduated in 1821. In 1823 he was installed pastor of the churches of Greenville and Mt. Pleasant, Ky., and served them for ten years. After the dissolution of the pastoral relationship, he continued to reside, throughout the whole of his long life, near Greenville, and during the most of these years supplied them, as well as the Mount Zion and Allensville churches, but never again assuming the pastoral office. He died, June 29, 1878.
The Rev. Albert Barnes
(Dec. 1, 1798 - Dec. 24, 1870)
The Rev. Albert Barnes was born in Rome, N.Y., December 1, 1798. His preparatory studies were conducted in Fairfield Academy, where he composed, along with his fellow students, a tragedy in verse, entitled "William Tell; or Switzerland Delivered." In early life he was a skeptic. An article in the "Edinburgh Encylclopedia" by Dr. Chalmers, entitled "Christianity," first commanded his assent to the truth and divine origin of the Christian religion. On entering Hamilton College he became a Christian, gave up his plan of preparation for the legal profession and consecrated himself to the work of the ministry. After being graduated at Hamilton, he pursued a four years' course of theological study at Princeton. In February 1825 he was installed pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Morristown, N. J. Here he began the preparation of his Commentaries. After nearly five years in this pastorate, he accepted a call from the First Presbyterian Church of Philadelphia, with which church he retained official connection to the day of his death.
He was an advocate of the Temperance reformation, and never hesitated to express his opposition to the system of slavery.
In 1832 he published his "Notes, Explanatory and Practical, on the Gospels; designed for Sunday school Teachers and Bible Classes." One book after another followed, until he found himself at the end of the New Testament. During these years he also wrote his Annotations on Isaiah, Job and Daniel, which were followed by his "Notes on the Psalms." Among his other more important published works were "The Way of Salvation," "The Atonement," "Lectures on the Evidences," and "Life of Saint Paul." His two discourses, "Life at Threescore," and "Life at Threescore and Ten," show how religion can gild and cheer a Christian minister's closing years.
In 1849 Mr. Barnes was invited to a professorship in Lane Seminary, which he declined. In 1851 the General Assembly (New School) elected him Moderator. About this time his eyes began to fail, which led him in 1868 to resign his charge, but continuing at the people’s request as Pastor Emeritus. To the last, however, he continued to preach occasionally in the churches, and regularly in the House of Refuge, of which he was a Manager.
Mr. Barnes died, December 24, 1870.
The Rev. Hugh Barr
(May 12, 1790 - August 1, 1862)
The Rev. Hugh Barr was the son of Patrick and Nancy Barr, and was born in North Carolina, May 12, 1790. His parents moved to Middle Tennessee with their family in 1798. He was educated in the academy of the Rev. Dr. Blackburn. On leaving the academy he began life as a teacher and established a school for English and classical studies at Hopewell, Tenn. In the Indian war of the South he served as a soldier under General Jackson. Returning home after the war, he resumed his occupation as a teacher. After a vigorous study of theology, and completing his course about the year 1819, he was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Shiloh. He was ordained and sent as a missionary to Northern Alabama, and was settled at Courtland in the year 1821. He remained there as pastor for fourteen years, serving in the meantime the destitute neighborhoods in the region about him. He went to Illinois in 1835 and for six months supplied the church at Pisgah, in Morgan County, and then settled at Carrolton, Green County, Ill., in November of the same year, where he remained until he closed his ministerial labors, in 1852. Mr. Barr died, August 1, 1862.
The Rev. Samuel Barr
(b. pre 1765)
In October 1785 the Rev. Samuel Barr, licentiate to preach the gospel of the Presbytery of Londonderry, Ireland, appeared in the Presbytery of Redstone, having had his attention directed to Pittsburg as a field by merchants who met him at the house of his father-in-law, at New Castle. There was not complete satisfaction on the part of Presbytery at first, but Mr. Barr's work began and went forward without formal installation. The Church of Pitts-township (now Beulah Church) united with the First Church in the call to Mr.Barr. Mr. Barr's ministry closed in 1789.
The Rev. William H. Barr
The Rev. William H. Barr was born in Rowan (now Iredell) County, N. C., about the year 1779. He was graduated at Hampden-Sidney College in 1801, and his theological studies were conducted by the Rev. Dr. Hall. He was licensed to preach the gospel in 1806 and almost immediately after was appointed by the Synod of the Carolinas to itinerate as a missionary in the lower parts of South Carolina. He was solicited in several places to accept a pastoral charge, but ill health prevented his doing so. In the autumn of 1809 he received a unanimous call from Upper Long Cane Church, Abbeville District, S. C. He accepted the call and continued to be the pastor of the congregation until his death, January 9, 1843.
The Rev. George Addison Baxter, D.D.
(July 22, 1771 - April 24, 1841)
The Rev. Dr. George Addison Baxter was born in Rockingham County, Va., July 22, 1771. He was graduated at the Academy at Lexington in 1796, studied theology under the direction of the Rev. William Graham, Principal of Liberty Hall, and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Lexington, April 1, 1797. After he was licensed, he traveled for six months through Virginia and Maryland, preaching as a missionary, and at the same time making collections for the New London Academy. On his return from this tour he again took charge of that Academy, of which he seems to have had charge during a part of the year 1793.
On the 19th of October, 1798, he accepted the Professorship of Mathematics, Natural Philosophy and Astronomy, in Liberty Hall, and on the death of Mr. Graham the next year, he was chosen his successor as Principal. In this new relationship he also became pastor of the congregations of New Monmouth and Lexington. He continued his connection with the Academy, which was soon after chartered as Washington College, until the autumn of 1829, but though he retired from the Institution, he still retained the pastoral charge of the congregation.
Dr. Baxter was inaugurated Professor of Theology at Union Theological Seminary, April 11, 1832. Besides performing the duties of his Professorship, he preached regularly to vacant congregations in the neighborhood and for four years before his death supplied a church twenty-five miles from his residence the first two years two Sabbaths, afterwards one Sabbath in each month. He continued to labor without interruption almost to the day of his death, April 24, 1841.
See, student and colleague, Rev. Daniel Blain.
The Rev. Andrew Bay
(pre 1724 - post 1776)
Historical records first mention the Rev. Andrew Bay, “a broad Scotchman,” in 1748 as a member of the Presbytery of New Castle. He was pastor at Marsh Creek, Pa., and Deer Creek, Md. In 1768, the Synod asked him to settle near Albany to serve settlements in Montgomery and Washington counties. Bay came to Newtown, Long Island, in 1773.
Some people asked the Presbytery of New York to dismiss Bay, claiming that “the congregation generally seemed disaffected with Mr. Bay.” Although the elders declined to make a formal complaint, “many charges were implied against Mr. Bey’s [sic] prudential and moral character.” The Synod held an inquiry at Newtown on June 20, 1775. The following day, the congregation voted by ballot. Several members voted to dismiss Bay. When the presbytery dissolved his pastoral relationship, he appeared before the Synod on May 28, 1776. The Synod sustained the action.
From the information on the Church of Newtown's website http://www.fpcn.org/history/pastors/bay.html
The Rev. Charles Beatty
(1712/1715 - August 13, 1772)
The Rev. Charles Beatty was born in County Antrim, Ireland, between 1712 and 1715. His father died while he was a child. He came to Philadelphia in the care of his uncle, Charles Clinton, in 1729. He had received a classical education in Ireland, to some extent. Reaching manhood he engaged in trade. After conversation with Mr. Beatty at the Log College, Mr. Tennent urged him to sell what he had and prepare for the ministry. This he consented to do.
Rev. Beatty was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick, October 13, 1742, was called to the Forks of Nashaminy, May 26, 1743, and was ordained on December 14. The Synod of New York sent him to Virginia and North Carolina in 1754 and he accompanied Franklin, when he, with five hundred men, came up to defend the frontier, after the burning of the Moravian missionaries at Gnadenhuetten, near Lehighton. The corporation for the Widows' Fund sent him to Great Britain in 1760 to collect money for its treasury. In 1766, the Synod appointed him and the Rev. Mr. Duffield, of Carlisle, missionaries to the frontiers of the province for two months, and in fulfilling this appointment, the former passed along the Juniata, and the latter went through Path Valley, Fannet and the Cove. The Delaware town on the Muskingum, one hundred and thirty miles beyond Fort Pitt, was visited by them, and they found a prospect of a door opening for the spread of the gospel among the Indians. To relieve the College of New Jersey, Mr. Beatty sailed for the West Indies but died August 13, 1772, soon after reaching Bridgetown, in Barbados.
The Rev. Lyman Beecher, D.D.
(October 12, 1775 – January 10, 1863)
The Rev. Dr. Lyman Beecher was born at New Haven, Conn., October 12, 1775. Being graduated in 1797, he then studied theology with Dr. Dwight at Yale for one year, was licensed to preach the gospel by the New Haven West Association in 1798, was ordained by the Presbytery of Long Island, September 5, 1799, and the next April was chosen one of the Commissioners to attend the General Assembly of 1800. In 1799, he was installed pastor at East Hampton, Long Island. In 1810 he moved to Litchfield, Conn. Here his preaching labors extended through the entire neighboring region, and here he wrote his famous "Six Sermons on Intemperance." In 1826 he became pastor of the Hanover Church, Boston.
On October 22, 1830, Dr. Beecher was unanimously elected President and Professor of Theology at Lane Theological Seminary. Nearly two years elapsed before arrangements were made and he assumed his new duties. On December 26, 1832, he moved to Cincinnati and was inducted into his office and entered upon its duties. In the spring following he was installed the pastor of the Second Presbyterian Church of Cincinnati.
After giving twenty years of his life to Lane Seminary, Dr. Beecher (shown in the middle of the photograph at right) ended his active services in 1852, when he returned to Boston and afterwards moved to Brooklyn, where he lived within a stone's throw of his son's (the Rev. Henry Ward Beecher far right in photo) house and church. He was the father of Harriet Beecher Stowe (at near right in photo).
The Rev. L. G. Bell
(1788 - May 20, 1868)
The Rev. L. G. Bell was the pioneer missionary of the west. "Father Bell," as he was called for many years, was born in Augusta County, Va., in 1788. He served in the war of 1812 and had an honorable discharge at the close of the war. He entered the ministry of the Presbyterian Church in 1827, and after a short period spent as a pastor in Tennessee, he devoted himself to the missionary work in the new regions of the northwest. Here, chiefly in Iowa, he explored the country in various directions, preaching in the destitute neighborhoods, gathering the scattered members and organizing them into churches, and supplying them with the Word of Life until he could procure someone to settle permanently among them. This done, he would move on into other regions and begin again his work of organization. Thus he spent some forty-eight years, chiefly on missionary ground.
He organized, in all, thirty-three churches. In 1861 the feeble health of his wife and his own advanced age (being over seventy years) rendered it imperative to withdraw from the kind of labor to which he had given so many years of his life. He therefore moved from Fremont County, Iowa, to Monmouth, Ill. There, with the church whose existence was owing to his labors, he designed to spend his declining years but still he labored in vacant churches in the vicinity. In 1867, his wife died and although urged by his friends to spend the remainder of his lonely days in rest, he afterwards twice visited his churches in Iowa. He died, May 20, 1868.
The Rev. Robert B. Belville
(1790 - June 28, 1845)
The Rev. Robert B. Belville was of Huguenot ancestry. His family came to this country from France soon after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, which occurred in 1685. He was born at or near New Castle, Del., in 1790, obtained his literary education partly under the tuition of James Ross, the author of the Latin grammar then commonly in use, and partly at the University of Pennsylvania and studied theology under the instruction of Dr. Samuel Stanhope Smith at Princeton. He was ordained to preach the gospel and installed pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Nashaminy, Bucks County, Pa., October 20, 1813, and continued in this relationship for twenty-five years, until impaired health required his resignation. During a portion of the time of his pastorate he was also engaged in teaching. In 1845 he went as a commissioner to the General Assembly at Cincinnati. He died, June 28, 1845.
The Rev. John G. Bergen, D.D.
(November 27, 1790- January 17, 1872)
The Rev. Dr. John G. Bergen was born November 27, 1790, at Hightstown, N. J. In 1806 he entered the Junior Class at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) and in 1810 was appointed Tutor in the Institution, resigning the position in 1812. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick in 1811. On February 17, 1813, he was installed over the Church at Madison, N. J. Released from this charge, he moved to Illinois, September 22, 1828. Locating in Springfield, he preached to a Presbyterian Church which had been organized there, January 30, 1828, by the Rev. Mr. Ellis, of nineteen members, who were all the Presbyterians known to live within a circle of twenty miles around the town. In 1829 he formed there the first Temperance Association in Central Illinois, and probably the first in the state. A movement for a second church originated and Mr. Bergen was installed its pastor, November 25, 1835. The pastoral relationship of Mr. Bergen was dissolved September 27, 1848, and from that time his active life ceased. He devoted himself to writing for the press and to missionary effort among feeble churches here and there. He was for many years a director of the Theological Seminary of the Northwest, at Chicago. He took an active part in the reunion movement of the Church and was made Moderator of the reunited Synod of Illinois, in July 1870. He died, January 17, 1872.
The Rev. William Bertram
(1674?- May 3, 1746)
On the presentation to the Synod in 1732 of testimonials from the Presbytery of Bangor, in Ireland, the Rev. William Bertram was received by the Presbytery of Donegal. At the same time he accepted an invitation to settle at Paxton and Derry and was installed, November 15, 1732, at the meeting house on Swatara. On the settlement of Mr. Bertram the congregation on Swatara took the name of Derry, and the upper congregation, on Fishing Creek, was styled Paxton. Desiring leave to confine himself to one congregation, Mr. Bertram was released from the care of Paxton, September 13, 1736. He died, May 3, 1746.
The Rev. Robert H. Bishop, D.D.
The Rev. Dr. Robert H. Bishop preached in the chapel of Oxford University in Oxford, Butler County, Ohio, after 1821.
The Rev. James Black
(ca. 1776 - February 16, 1860)
The Rev. James Black was born about 1776. He was received from the Presbytery of Abingdon, April, 16 1812, by the Presbytery of Winchester in Virginia. He was dismissed, October 21, 1833, to the Reformed Classis of Maryland. He was received by the Presbytery of Winchester a second time from the Presbytery of Redstone on June 7, 1849, and dismissed to the Presbytery of Carlisle, September 13, 1850. He was stated supply at Mount Bethel, 1812-24, preached at Charleston, 1828, and Shepherdstown, 1829-33. He was stated supply at Wheeling Valley, Pa., 1839-43 and was at Weston Newton, Pa., 1844-49 and Hagerstown, 1851-58 and Shepherdstown again 1858-60, where he died, February 16, 1860. He married Nancy McMurran of Shepherdstown.
The Rev. John Black
(d. August 6, 1802)
The Rev. John Black was a South Carolinian by birth and a graduate of the College of New Jersey (later Princeton). He was licensed by the Presbytery of Donegal, October 14, 1773, and was ordained to preach the gospel and installed pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Upper Marsh Creek, York County, Pa., August 15, 1775. On April, 10, 1794, he was released from his charge but continued to preach in various places without any regular settlement. He died, August 6, 1802.
The Rev. Gideon Blackburn, D.D.
(August 27, 1772 – August 23, 1838)
The Rev. Dr. Gideon Blackburn was born in Augusta County, Va., August 27, 1772. In his boyhood his parents moved to Tennessee. He pursued his literary course under the direction of Samuel Doak, D.D., and his theological studies under the instruction of Dr. Robert Henderson and was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Abingdon, in 1792.
Mr. Blackburn established the New Providence Church, Maryville, and also took charge of another church called Eusebia, about ten miles distant. Besides his stated labors in these congregations, he preached extensively in the region and was instrumental in organizing several new churches.
On May 31, 1803, the Presbyterian General Assembly approved the Rev. Gideon Blackburn's proposal to establish a school for Cherokee children and gave him $200 for living expenses. He obtained an additional $730 from private donors and the United States government, following a meeting with President Thomas Jefferson. In Fall 1803, Cherokee leaders granted him permission to begin his work.
He operated his schools for the Cherokees until 1810. Blackburn also is known for the churches he established in Tennessee and Kentucky. In 1811 he moved again to West Tennessee, settled at Franklin, took charge of Harpeth Academy, and preached in rotation at five different places within a range of fifty miles, organizing, within a few months after he began his labors, churches at the several places at which he preached.
On November 12, 1823, Dr. Blackburn was installed pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Louisville, Ky. He was president of Centre College, Danville, Ky., from 1827 until 1830. He then moved to Versailles, Ky., where he was occupied partly in ministering to the church in that place and partly as an agent of the Kentucky State Temperance Society. In October 1833 he moved to Illinois. In 1835 he was an agent to raise funds for Illinois College in the eastern States, and while thus engaged, conceived a plan of establishing a theological seminary in Illinois, which resulted, after his death, in the establishment of an institution at Carlinsville, Ill. He died onAugust 23, 1838.
The Rev. Daniel Blain
(1773 - March 19, 1814)
The Rev. Daniel Blain was born in South Carolina, Abbeville District, in 1773, of the Scotch Irish race. He passed his early life on the frontiers. When about twenty years of age he went to Liberty Hall, near Lexington, Va., and there completed his academic and theological course of study in preparation for the ministry. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Lexington about the year 1796. He engaged with Mr. Baxter in teaching at the New London Academy at Bedford, and moved with him to Lexington, being appointed Professor in the Academy. He was a member of the committee appointed by the Synod, in 1803, to establish a religion periodical, if the way was clear, and under whose direction the first number of The Virginia Religious Magazine was issued, October, 1804. To that periodical he contributed a number of articles. Mr. Blain died, March 19, 1814.
The Rev. John Blair
(d. December 8, 1771)
The Rev. John Blair was a brother of the Rev. Samuel Blair, born in Ireland and educated at Log College. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the New Side Presbytery of New Castle at its earliest sessions. He was ordained, December 27, 1742, pastor of Middle Spring, Rocky Spring and Big Spring, in Cumberland County, Pa., and gave two-thirds of his time to Big Spring, dividing the remaining time between the others. During his ministry there he made two visits to Virginia, the last in 1746, preaching and organizing new congregations. The incursions of the Indians led him to resign his pastoral charge, December 28, 1748. He seems to have remained without a settlement until 1757, when he accepted a call from the church at Fagg's Manor. Here he continued not only as pastor of the church but as head of the school, which his brother had established. In 1767 he was chosen Professor of Divinity and Moral Philosophy in the College of New Jersey and was elected President before he was thirty years of age. But soon after his election, word was received from Scotland that Dr. Witherspoon, who had previously declined the position, would, in all probability, if the call were repeated, accept it. As soon as this was known to Mr. Blair, he immediately wrote to the President of the Board, declining the office, and accepted a call to Wallkill, in the Highlands of New York, May 19, 1769. He died, December 8, 1771.
During the excitement growing out of the question concerning the examination of candidates on their experience of saving grace, one of the Old Side published "Thoughts on the Examination and Trials of Candidates." On this pamphlet Mr. Blair published "Animadversions," dated "Fagg's Manor, August 27th 1766." He also published a reply to Harker's "Appeal to the Christian World," entitled "The Synod of New York and Philadelphia Vindicated." A treatise on regeneration, orthodox, was published shortly before his death, with the title, "A Treatise on the Nature, Use, and Subjects of the Sacraments, on Regeneration, and on the Nature and Use of the Means of Grace." The preface is dated "Goodwill, alias Wallkill, December 21st, 1770."
The Rev. John Durburrow Blair
(October 15, 1759 - January 10, 1823)
The Rev. John Durburrow Blair was born at Fagg's Manor, Pa., October 15, 1759. He was a son of the Rev. John Blair. He graduated from the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1775. After his graduation he was appointed, on the recommendation of Dr. Witherspoon, Principal of Washington Henry Academy, in Virginia, where he remained for a number of years. On October 28, 1784, he was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Hanover. Soon after this he received a call from the Church in Pole Green, in Hanover, of which the Rev. Samuel Davis had been pastor while in Virginia, and having accepted the call, was ordained as pastor. About 1792 he moved to Richmond and opened a classical school. At the same time he began to gather a church, holding his services in the Capitol. He remained there until his death, January 10, 1823.
The Rev. Samuel Blair
(June 14, 1712 - July 5, 1751)
The Rev. Samuel Blair was born in Ireland, June 14, 1712. He came to America when quite young and was educated at the Log College at Nashaminy under the Rev. William Tennent. Having completed his classical and theological study, he was licensed to preach the gospel, November 9, 1733, by the Presbytery of Philadelphia and in the following September he accepted a call to Middletown and Shrewsbury, N. J. Here he continued about five years. He was called to Cranbury, N. J., in 1734, but apparently did not accept. In 1739 he received a call to the Church in New Londonderry, otherwise called Fagg's Manor, in Pennsylvania. This call he accepted, and he moved to his new residence in November, 1739, but his installation did not take place until April, 1740. Shortly after his settlement at Fagg's Manor he established a classical school.
Mr. Blair made a tour of preaching through New England in the summer of 1744. He participated in those events that agitated and finally divided the Presbyterian Church. In his doctrinal views he was a thorough Calvinist, as appears from his "Treatise on Predestination and Reprobation."
Mr. Blair's last illness was contracted from his going, upon an urgent call, and in an enfeebled state of body, to meet the Trustees of New Jersey College. He died, July 5, 1751.
The Rev. Samuel Blair D.D.
(1741 - September 1818)
The Rev. Dr. Samuel Blair was a son of the Rev. Samuel Blair, of Fagg's Manor, Chester County, Pa., and nephew of the Revs. John Blair and Robert Smith, and brother-in-law of Rev. David Rice. He was born at Fagg's Manor in 1741. He was graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) with honor, in 1760, at the age of nineteen. He afterwards served as tutor there for about three years--from 1761 to 1764. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Castle in 1764.
In November, 1766, Mr. Blair was installed pastor of the old South Church in Boston, as a colleague of the Rev. Dr. Sewall. He resigned his charge, October 10, 1769. He received the degree of Doctor of Divinity from the University of Pennsylvania in 1790. After resigning his charge at Boston, he took up his residence at Germantown, now a part of Philadelphia, where he passed the remainder of his life in retirement and devotion to his books, except that he served two years as chaplain in Congress, and preached at other times, as opportunity offered. Dr. Blair published two sermons, one of which was occasioned by the death of his first cousin, the Rev. Dr. John Blair Smith, Philadelphia, 1799.
The Rev. William C. Blair
b. before 1800)
The Rev. William C. Blair was a student at Princeton Theological Seminary in 1820. In 1820, the Presbytery of Washington in Ohio dismissed him to the care of the Presbytery of New Brunswick, N. J., and he was received again from that presbytery in 1822, and as he had been appointed a missionary to the Chackasaw Indians by the Missionary Society of the Synods of South Carolina and Georgia, he was ordained to the gospel ministry, September 27, 1822. In 1824 he was dismissed to the Presbytery of West Tennessee. He was a graduate of Jefferson College.
The Rev. Stephen Bliss
The Rev. Stephen Bliss was a minister in Centreville, Ill., beginning about 1818. In 1829 he was the host of the first meeting of the Presbytery of Centre in Illinois in that year. His wife's name was May.
Suggestions for further reading: "Life of Stephen Bliss" by Rev. S.C. Baldridge
The Rev. James Blythe, D.D.
The Rev. Dr. James Blythe was born in Mecklenburg County, N. C., October 28, 1765. He graduated at Hampden-Sidney College in 1789 and studied theology under the direction of the Rev. Dr. Hall, of North Carolina. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Orange, July 25, 1793. He became pastor of Pisgah and Clear Creek churches, Ky., but resigned the charge in a short time. For a series of years he was annually appointed a stated supply by the Presbytery and this way ministered to the Pisgah church upwards of forty years.
When the Kentucky Academy, in 1798, was merged with the University of Transylvania, he was appointed Professor of Mathematics, Natural Philosophy, Astronomy and Geography, and subsequently was the acting President of the Institution for twelve or fifteen years. He was present at the first meeting of the Synod of Kentucky at Lexington in 1802 and was designated a member of the Presbytery of West Lexington. In 1818 he was transferred to the chair of Chemistry in the Medical Department and retained the position until 1831. In connection with his Professorship he was associated, for some years, with the Rev. James Welsh, as colleague pastor of the church in Lexington. About the time that he resigned the Presidency of the College he established a Seminary for young ladies.
In 1816 Dr. Blythe was Moderator of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church. In 1831 he was chosen Moderator of the convention of delegates from the Presbyteries which met at Cincinnati, at the suggestion of the General Assembly, on the subject of Domestic Missions. In 1832 he was elected President of Hanover College, Ind., and for several years fulfilled the duties of the office, at the same time giving more or less gratuitous instruction in the Theological Seminary in the same place. In 1836 he resigned the Presidency of the College and from October 1837 preached to the New Lexington Church, miles from Hanover, until declining health obliged him to retire. He died, May 20, 1842.