Biographies are developed by PHC volunteers and staff from original research and from various published sources, such as 1884 "Encyclopedia of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America," by Alfred Nevin. This list is constantly being updated. Corrections and additional materials, such as photos or drawings will be made from time to time. There also is a missionary biographical listing being prepared for this web site. During 2010, there will be a master index of ministers and missionaries to aid in searches. Thanks for your patience. Please email additional information or pictures to the PHC.
Biographical Index of Ministers Bm - Bz
The Rev. George Smith Boardman, D.D.
(December 28, 1796 - February 7, 1877)
The Rev. Dr. George Smith Boardman was born at Albany, N. Y., December 28, 1796. He graduated at Union College in 1816, entering Princeton Seminary the same year and being graduated in 1819. After receiving license to preach the gospel, he spent about two years preaching from place to place in Ohio and Kentucky, which was then the "Far West." On July 26, 1821, he was installed pastor of the Church at Watertown, N. Y., for sixteen years. In 1837 he accepted a call to the Central Church of Rochester, N. Y., where he remained six years, except that he labored for six months, in 1842, at Columbus, Ohio, in connection with a revival, and supplied for a while the Third (or Pine Street) Church in Philadelphia. In 1843 he took charge of the Second Church at Rome, N. Y., which he left in 1847, to enter upon a short pastorate at Cherry Valley, N. Y. At the latter place he remained until 1850, when he accepted a call to the Church at Cazenovia, N. Y. This pastorate extended to 1865, a period of nearly fifteen years. At the end of this time impaired health required his release. After his health was restored he eagerly engaged in preaching, either as an occasional or stated supply. For longer or shorter periods he filled the pulpits of the First Church of Rome, Ogdensburg and Little Falls, all in New York. He died, February 7, 1877.
The Rev. William Boardman
(October 12, 1781 - March 4, 1818)
The Rev. William Boardman was born in Williamstown, Mass., October 12, 1781. He was installed as pastor of the Presbyterian church at Duanesburgh, N. Y., in 1803. Six months after Peter Fish died, Boardman came to Newtown, Long Island. A year later, in October 1811, he became pastor there. He caught an unknown disease and died, March 4, 1818. In 1804, he married Rachel Bloodgood, daughter of Abraham Bloodgood of Albany.
Adapted from information on the Newtown Church's website at http://www.fpcn.org/history/pastors/boardman.html
The Rev. John Boggs
(ca. 1780 - after 1851)
The Rev. John Boggs was born in Back Creek, Va., about 1780, the son of elder William Boggs. He became a candidate for the ministry, April 25, 1803, was licensed to preach the gospel, April 21, 1804, by the Presbytery of Winchester and dismissed April 10, 1807, to the Presbytery of Ohio. He was ordained by the Presbytery of Redstone, October 20, 1807. He was stated supply and pastor of the Second Presbyterian Church of Pittsburg, 1806-08, Berkley and Hampshire counties, 1809-10, Bound Brook, N. J. (1819-25); Savannah, GA (1829-30); Washington, Ga. (1831-32); Nazareth Church near Spartanburg, S. C. (1834-41); Rock Hill, SC (1842-43). During 1833, he taught and operated the Fliint Hill Academy just north of Moore, SC. He was received by the Presbytery of Winchester from the Presbytery of South Carolina, April 16, 1845, and dismissed back, April 14, 1847. During that time he was the pastor at Martinsburg. Upon returning to South Carolina, he taught at Woodville, S. C., 1848-51.
The Rev. David Bostwick
(1721 - November 12, 1763)
The Rev. David Bostwick was born at New Milford, Conn., in 1721. He was of Scotch extraction. He entered Yale College, but before being graduated, left and completed his studies with Mr. Burr at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton). For some time he was his assistant in the Academy. He was ordained to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New York, as pastor at Jamaica, Long Island, October 9, 1745. Here he remained more than ten years. In 1754 the Synod of New York directed him to visit the states of Virginia and North Carolina for three months.
On April 14, 1756, Mr. Bostwick accepted a call to the First Presbyterian Church in New York and was installed shortly after. He died onNovember 12, 1763. In 1804 he married Rachel Bloodgood, daughter of Abraham Bloodgood of Albany.
Rev. Bostwich published a sermon, preached in 1758, at Philadelphia, before the Synod of New York, entitled, "Self Disclaimed and Christ Exalted;” also, "An Account of the Life, Character and Death of President Davies," prefixed to Davies' Sermon on the death of George II, 1761. After his death, there was published, from his manuscripts, "A Fair and Rational Vindication of the Right of Infants to the Ordinance of Baptism, being the substance of several discourses from Acts ii, 39." The degree of Master of Arts was conferred on Mr. Bostwick by the College of New Jersey in 1756 and he was one of the overseers of the same institution from 1761 until his death.
The Rev. Joseph Treat was called to be Mr. Bostwick's colleague in October, 1762.
The Rev. George Bourne
(June 13, 1780 - Nov. 20, 1845)
The Rev. George Bourne was raised and educated for the ministry among the Congregationalists of England. After a brief visit to the United States in 1802 he settled in Baltimore in 1804. For the next six years he made his living by journalism and other writing. He also fought and won his first court battle over an issue of reform and freedom of the press. Around 1810 Bourne moved to Virginia where he began freelance preaching in the new western settlements. In 1812, the Presbytery of Lexington accepted him (age 32) as a candidate for the ministry and on Christmas day of 1812 they ordained him pastor of a small congregation at Port Republic. The following year and the next also he was sent to the General Assembly as their commissioner and in 1814 he became stated clerk of the presbytery.
No record remains of how and when Bourne became an opponent of slavery, but as a commissioner (for the third successive year) at the General Assembly of 1815 he attempted to introduce an antislavery overture. He was opposed at once by another commissioner from his own presbytery. A debate ensued in which Bourne severely criticized the Presbyterian ministers, elders and church members of Virginia for the cruel and inhuman treatment of their slaves. Upon his return to Virginia, the presbytery deposed him from the ministry and Bourne moved to Germantown, Pa., where in 1816 he published the book, “The Book and Slavery Irreconcilable” (Republished as “George Bourne and The Book and Slavery Irreconcilable.” Edited and with an Introduction by John W. Christie and Dwight L. Dumond (Wilmington: The Historical Society of Delaware and Philadelphia: The Presbyterian Historical Society, 1969) For three successive General Assemblies, 1816, 1817 and 1818 Bourne's case was before the Assembly on appeal. Eventually, he lost. He was also known as an anti-Catholic agitator.
About 1824, Bourne was called from Mount Pleasant or Sing Sing Academy to take charge of the Congregational Church just commenced at Quebec, Canada, where he served as the first pastor.
He returned to New York in 1828 and launched The Protestant, which was anti-papal. He founed the Protestant Reformation Society. He affiliated with the Dutch Reformed Church.
At a meeting of delegates to form a National Antislavery Society, which convened in Philadelphia on December 4, 1833, the delegates approved the following —
"Resolved That George Bourne, William Lloyd Garrison, and Charles W. Dennison, be a committee to prepare a synopsis of Wesley's Thoughts on Slavery, and of the Antislavery items in the note formerly existing in the Catechism of the Presbyterian Church of the United States; and of such other similar testimony as they can obtain, to be addressed to Methodists, Presbyterians, and all professed Christians in this country, and published under the sanction of this convention."
For some years, Rev. Bourne was the acting editor of the Christian Intelligencer, the organ of the Reformed Dutch Church. He died on November 20, 1845.
The Rev. Francis Bowman, D.D.
(Feb. 27, 1795 - April 26, 1875)
The Rev. Dr. Francis Bowman was born in Westford, near Burlington, VT, on Feb. 27, 1795. He entered Princeton Seminary in 1821 and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Otsego, July 17, 1824. He was ordained to the full work of the gospel ministry by the Presbytery of Hanover and became pastor of the Church at Charlottesville, Va., as well as the Church of South Plains, in which he also preached. He subsequently entered the service of the American Bible Society, and then resumed the work of the ministry, preaching at Greensboro, Ga., and at Bryan Neck, Bryan County, Ga., near Savannah. He died, April 26, 1875.
The Rev. John Bowman
(d. after 1802)
The Rev. John Bowman was marked absent at the first meeting of the Synod of Kentucky at Lexington, Ky., in 1802 and was designated a member of the Presbytery of Transylvania.
The Rev. Abraham Boyd
(December 1770 - after 1833)
The Rev. Abraham Boyd was born in Ireland, in December 1770. He pursued his studies at the Canonsburg Academy and was licensed to preach the gospel, June 25, 1800, by the Presbytery of Ohio. On June 17, 1802, he was installed pastor of the congregations of Bull Creek and Middlesex, in Armstrong County, Pa. This relationship continued at Middlesex until 1817 and at Bull Creek until June 25, 1833. After leaving Middlesex he gave half his time to Deer Creek, from 1817 to 1821.
The Rev. Adam Boyd
(1692 - November 23, 1768)
The Rev. Adam Boyd was born at Ballymoney, Ireland, in 1692 and came to New England as a probationer in 1722 or 1723. He was received under the care of the Presbytery of New Castle in July, 1724. He accepted a call to the churches of Octorara and Pequea, and was ordained to the gospel ministry, October 13, at Octorara. In October, 1727, the families on the west side of the stream Octorara asked for one-third of his labors. He was directed to spend every sixth Sabbath at Middle Octorara. The Forks of Brandywine composed part of his field until 1734. In the progress of the great revival, a large portion of his congregation having left him and joined the Brunswick brethren, he asked leave, August 11, 1741, to accept the invitation given him by the fraction of Brandywine which adhered to the Old Side. His relation to the Forks was dissolved in 1758. He died, November 23, 1768.
The Rev. James Boyd
(1773 - March 8, 1813)
James Boyd was born in 1773 in Easton, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Jefferson College and studied theology with Rev. Dr. McMillian, being licensed by the Erie Presbytery in 1804 at Westfield. The pioneers of Newton, Ohio (near Youngstown) were not long without public religious exercises. John Sutherland, Sr., soon called those of his neighbors of like inclination and organized a weekly prayer meeting. In the summer of 1808, the Rev. James Boyd, a Presbyterian minister who was sent as a missionary to the Western Reserve, found his way to the River settlement, preaching the first sermon in the township. An effort was then made to secure the services of the Rev. Mr. Boyd as minister to the three churches of Milton, Newton and Warren in the River and Duck Creek settlements and Warren. He spent his life in ministerial labor with his people. He died on March 8, 1813.
From a variety of sources, including The History of Trumbull & Mahoning Counties (Ohio), published in 1882 by H. Z. Williams & Bro. via Robert Sutherland-Wedding.
The Rev. John Boyd
(about 1769 - August 20, 1816)
The Rev. John Boyd was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Carlisle, December 21, 1791, and ordained, April 9, 1794 (at Tuscarora in Virginia?). He was pastor of Tuscarora and Falling Water, April 9, 1794, to April 16, 1801. He was dismissed, April 13, 1803, to the Presbytery of New Brunswick. He was present at Gerrardstown, October 26, 1799, when Joseph Glass was ordained and installed pastor of Gerrardstown and Back Creek, but when the Presbytery of Winchester met at Tuscarora, October 10, 1811, to ordain John Blair Hoge pastor of Tuscarora and Falling Water, he objected by letter on the ground of non-payment of salary arrears as covered by a sponsion bond. On statement by the Tuscarora elders that he had been paid in full, Presbytery ordered the statement sent him and proceeded with the ordination and installation. He was received by the Presbytery of Washington from the Presbytery of Lancaster in April 1812 and was called for one fourth of his time to the Presbyterian Church of White Oak. He was made stated supply for Straight Creek (near Red Oak), Ohio for one half of his time. In 1816 he was dismissed to the Presbytery of Miami. He was sick about two weeks with the billious fever. He died on August 20, 1816. He left a wife and eight children. His wife was Margaret Gaston, daughter of Joseph Gaston and Margaret Linn.
The Rev. David Brainerd
(April 20, 1718 - October 9, 1747)
The Rev. David Brainerd was born at Haddam, Conn., April 20, 1718. At the age of twenty he entered on a course of learning in the house of Mr. Fiske, the minister there. He finished his preparation for college with his brother, the minister of Eastbury. In September 1739 he entered Yale College. In the spring of the same year in which he left college he began the study of theology under the direction of the Rev. Jedediah Mills, of Ripton, Conn., and on July 20, 1742, was licensed to preach the gospel by the Association of Ministers. He desired to bring the gospel to the Indians and accordingly in the autumn after he was licensed, he went to New York by invitation from the correspondents of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, and appointment from them as a missionary among the Indians.
Mr. Brainerd's missionary labors started at an Indian village called Kaunaumeck, about half-way between Stockbridge and Albany. Having been ordained by the Presbytery of New York, at Newark, N.J., in June, 1744, he immediately stationed himself near the Forks of the Delaware, in Pennsylvania, where he labored for about a year. At the end of this period he visited the Indians at a village called Crosweeksung in the neighborhood of Freehold.
In summer 1746, Mr. Brainerd visited the Indians on the Susquehanna, and on his return, in September, found himself worn out by the hardships of his journey. His health was so much impaired that he was able to preach but little more. Being advised, in the spring of 1747, to travel in New England, he went as far as Boston and returned in July to Northampton, where he lived the remainder of his days with the family of Jonathan Edwards. Mr. Brainerd died, October 9, 1747.
The Rev. John Brainerd
(February 28, 1720 - March 18, 1781)
The Rev. John Brainerd was a native of East Haddam, Conn., and was the brother of David Brainerd. He graduated at Yale in 1746 and was appointed by the correspondents of the Scottish Society to take his brother’s place as a missionary among the Indians. He came to Elizabethtown, NJ, April 10, 1747, and, having been examined by the Presbytery of New York on the 13th, he went the next day to the Indians at Cranbury. He was ordained to preach the gospel by that Presbytery early in 1748.
Rev. Brainerd traveled to the Forks of Delaware and to Wyoming several times to induce the Indians to leave their unsettled life and dwell near him. In October 1752 he had forty families near him and thirty-seven communicants. There were fifty children in the school. That year, the General Court of Connecticut, on the petition of the Correspondents, granted a brief for a general collection to aid him in his school.
In 1755, Rev. Brainerd retired from the Society's service as a missionary and in 1757 took charge of the congregation in Newark. Here he remained but a short while, for, in 1750, he resumed his mission among the poor Indians.
Rev. Brainerd resided for some time at Mount Holly. He had a meeting house there which was burned by the British during the Revolutionary War. Seven other places were regularly and frequently visited by him. In 1777 he moved to Deerfield and preached there until he died, March 18, 1781.
The Rev. John Breckinridge, D.D.
(July 4, 1797 - August 4, 1841)
The Rev. Dr. John Breckinridge was the second of four remarkable sons of the Hon. John Breckinridge. His mother was Mary H. (Cabell) Breckinridge. He was born at the family home, Cabell's Dale, near Lexington, K., on July 4, 1797. He was graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1818 and at the Theological Seminary at Princeton in 1822 and during part of his seminary course was Tutor in the college. He was licensed to preach the gospel in 1822 by the Presbytery of New Brunswick. He was elected and served a short time as Chaplain of the United States House of Representatives but resigned this office to accept a call to the McChord Presbyterian Church at Lexington, Ky., of which he was pastor for somewhat less than three years. In the year 1826 he became collegiate pastor with the Rev. Dr. Glendy of the Second Presbyterian Church of Baltimore, where he remained about five years. In 1831 he was elected Secretary and General Agent of the Board of Publication of the Presbyterian Church and moved to Philadelphia. In May 1835 he was chosen, by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church, Professor of Pastoral Theology and Missionary Instruction in the Theological Seminary at Princeton, N. J. In 1838 he resigned the professorship to become the General Agent of the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions. While in the discharge of the duties of his agency, he was called to become pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of New Orleans and though he declined the call, he ministered to that congregation for the greater part of two years. During his stay in New Orleans he was elected President of Oglethorpe University, in Georgia, and if his life had been spared, would probably have accepted that position. But he died, August 4, 1841.
During his first pastorate, in Lexington, Ky., he was Editor of the Western Luminary, a religious periodical. He published a number of occasional sermons and contributed at times to various religious publications. While Secretary of the Board of Education he published an Annual, devoted to the interests of that Board. These, with his debates in the Catholic controversy, comprise all of his published writings now recalled.
The Rev. Robert Jefferson Breckinridge, D.D., LL.D.
(March 8, 1800 - December 27, 1871)
The Rev. Dr. Robert Jefferson Breckinridge was the third son of the Hon. John and Mary Hopkins (nee Cabell) Breckinridge. He was born at Cabell's Dale, Ky., March 8, 1800. He was graduated at Union College, N. Y., in 1819 and entered the Bar at Lexington, Ky., in 1824. In 1825 he was elected to the Lower House of the Kentucky Legislature. During the winter of 1828-29, God converted his soul, at Frankfort, and he immediately determined to quit the practice of the law and also to take final leave of public life. He made public profession of faith in the spring of 1829, connecting himself with the McChord Presbyterian Church at Lexington, Ky., but soon afterwards removed his membership to the Mt. Horeb Church, Fayette County, where he was elected ruling elder, to appear once more before the people of his native country, to commend the Laws of God in the matters of abolition of negro slavery and the transformation of the mails on the Sabbath day. When these causes were defeated, he retired once more from public life. He did not, as yet, however, feel called to preach the gospel, until a great woods meeting, held on his own farm, in the autumn of 1831. He had been urged to take the step by his friends; but it was not "until the woods meeting that I fully determined to preach the Word." He immediately put himself under the care of the Presbytery of West Lexington and six months later, April 5, 1832, was licensed to preach the gospel by that body, at its meeting at Walnut Hill. After the meeting of the Assembly of 1832, in which he sat as Ruling Elder, he went to Princeton to complete his preparation for preaching but had been there only some five months when he received and accepted a call to the Second Church of Baltimore, November 22, 1832. He was ordained and installed, November 26, 1832, and after a pastorate of over twelve years, was dismissed, April 17, 1845, to the Presbytery of Ohio, in order to become President of Jefferson College, Pa. On September 16, 1847, he accepted the pastorate of the First Presbyterian Church, Lexington, Ky., which he retained until September 7, 1853, during which period he also discharged the duties of Superintendent of Public Instruction for the State of Kentucky. He was elected Professor of Exegetic, Didactic and Polemic Theology in the new seminary at Danville and began his duties there at its opening, in September 1853. His formal inauguration took place on October 15, 1853. His resignation of this position was offered on September 17, 1869, to take effect the following December and he died after a long illness on December 27, 1871.
He was practically the leader of the Old School party through all the troubles which accompanied and followed the division, in 1837. He was the author of the "Act and Testimony," and of its defense as put forth by the Philadelphia Convention of 1837. He participated in all the great discussions which agitated the Church for forty years, from 1831. He first appeared in the Assembly, as an Elder, in 1831, but after that was a very frequent member, and was made Moderator in 1841. The exigencies of his position at Baltimore, where he was publicly assaulted by Romanist controversialists, and denied the columns of the public press for reply, forced the establishment in January, 1835, of "The Baltimore Literary and Religious Magazine,” under the care of Mr. Cross and himself and subsequently under the name of “The Spirit of the XIX Century,” until 1842. His share was also very large in the management of “The Danville Quarterly Review” (1861-65).
Prominent among Dr. Breckinridge's publications were "Papism in the XIX Century," "Memoranda of Foreign Travels," "The Knowledge of God, Objectively Considered" (first part of his System of Theology), "The Knowledge of God, Subjectively Considered" (second part of his System of Theology). Besides these were numerous pamphlets on ecclesiological subjects, numerous printed sermons, a lecture on "The Internal Evidences of Christianity," delivered at the University of Virginia, a series of Kentucky School Reports, from 1848-53, and political articles and addresses, mostly printed in the Danville Review.
The Rev. William Lewis Breckinridge, D.D., LL.D.
(July 22, 1803 - December 26, 1876)
The Rev. Dr. William Lewis Breckinridge was the eighth child and fourth son of Hon. John and Mary Hopkins (nee Cabell) Breckinridge, and was born at Cabell's Dale, near Lexington, Ky., July 22, 1803. He became a follower of Christ at about the age of fifteen and entered the ministry about 1831. His first pastorate was at Maysville, Ky. When his brother John was made Secretary of the Board of Education, he was sought for to succeed him in the pastorate of the Second Presbyterian Church of Baltimore, but he preferred a Professorship of Languages in Centre College, Ky. From there he was called to the pastorate of the First Presbyterian Church of Louisville, Ky., where he began his work on the first Sabbath of January 1836 and preached for a period of 23 years. Subsequently he was President of two colleges: first, of Oakland College, Mississippi, and then of Centre College, Kentucky. At the time of his death he was residing on his farm in Cass County, Mo., and laboring in the surrounding country as minister-at-large. He died on December 26, 1876.
The Rev. John Brice
(July 6, 1760 - August 26, 1811)
The Rev. John Brice was born on July 6, 1760, in Hartford County, Maryland. He moved with the family to Western Pennsylvania. He received his education chiefly under the direction of the Rev. Joseph Smith and studied theology partly under Mr. Smith and partly under Mr. Dod. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Redstone, April 15, 1788, and by the same Presbytery was ordained and installed pastor of the congregations of Three Ridges and Forks of Wheeling, April 22, 1790. In these congregations he labored until about the year 1807, when, on account of ill health, the pastoral relationship was dissolved. Mr. Brice still continued, however, to preach the gospel in Green County, PA, and in the adjacent parts of Virginia, as often as health would permit, until April 18, 1810, when he was dismissed to the Presbytery of Lancaster. He died on August 26, 1811.
The Rev. John Brick
The Rev. John Brick was a minister near Jacksonville, Ill., in 1829 and attended the first meeting of the Presbytery of Centre in that year.
The Rev. Thomas Bridge
The people who came to Fairfield, N. J., from the towns and churches of Connecticut, Long Island, and East Jersey organized a church about 1690. Their first minister was the Rev. Thomas Bridge, a graduate of Harvard College. He probably continued there not more than ten or fifteen years. [He may have been a Congregational minister.]
The Rev. Horatio Nelson Brinsmade, D.D.
(December 28, 1798 - January 18, 1879)
The Rev. Dr. Horatio Nelson Brinsmade was born at New Hartford, Conn., December 28, 1798. He graduated at Yale College in September 1822 and immediately after entered Princeton Seminary, where he remained nearly one year, after which he went to Hartford, Conn., and studied theology about two years under the Rev. Joel Hawes, D.D., teaching also in the Deaf and Dumb Asylum in that city, from May 1823 until December 1831.
He was licensed to preach the gospel by the North Congregational Association of Hartford in June 1824 and ordained by the same body as an evangelist, June 1, 1828. He supplied the North Congregational Church in Hartford a part of the years 1827 and 1828. He began to preach at Collinsville, Conn., in December 1831 and served a Congregational Church which was organized there in August 1832 until November 1834. At the latter date he began to preach at Pittsfield, Massachusetts, where he was installed pastor of the First Congregational Church, February 11, 1835. Here he labored with great popularity and success for six and a half years and was released, September 9, 1841, having a call to the Third Presbyterian Church of Newark, NJ. He was installed as pastor, September 23, 1841, and here he labored for twelve years. On October 9, 1853, he was released by the Presbytery of Passaic.
Dr. Brinsmade's next pastorate was with the First Congregational Church at Beloit, Wisconsin, where he was installed, February 10, 1854, and resigned after seven years of labor on January 1, 1861. During nearly the whole of this time he gave gratuitous instruction in Beloit College. From Beloit he returned to Newark, NJ, where he began work with a mission of the Third Presbyterian Church, as a result of which the Wickliffe Presbyterian Church was organized by the Presbytery of Passaic, May 14, 1865. He served as stated supply until April 15, 1867, at which date he was duly installed as its pastor, from which pastoral relationship he was released by the Presbytery of Newark, April 17, 1872. He continued, however, to reside in Newark, preaching often until his death, January 18, 1879. He had traveled extensively in Europe and the East.
The Rev. Andrew Brown
The Rev. Andrew Brown was from Pendleton District, S. C., and settled at Tuscaloosa, Ala., in January, 1820. Mr. Brown was the first [Presbyterian] to preach to wanderers scattered up and down in that then recent wilderness. In 1820 he organized the Bethel Church in Tuscaloosa. In 1821 he, assisted by the Rev. Francis H. Porter, organized the New Hope Church, in Greene County, and in 1823 he organized the Lebanon Church in Tuscaloosa County.
In January 1822 he moved to Mesopotamia, still preaching at most of the churches he had already organized, and here, in the fall of 1823, he had called on the Rev. James Hillhouse and the Rev. Joseph P. Cunningham to assist in organizing the church in Mesopotamia. The day for that purpose being set, he went to Marion, Perry County, to attend a meeting of the Presbytery, where he died after five days' sickness.
The Rev. Duncan Brown, D.D.
(October 3, 1771 - June 17, 1861)
The Rev. Dr. Duncan Brown was born in Bladen, (now Robeson) County, N. C., October 3, 1771. He received a classical education in the neighborhood and studied theology under David Caldwell, D.D., in Guilford County, N. C. He was licensed to preach the gospel, March 5, 1801, by the Presbytery of Orange and immediately became an itinerant missionary in North and South Carolina. In 1802 he was ordained and installed pastor of the churches of Hopewell and Aimwell, in South Carolina, and continued in this relation until 1810, when he moved to Maury County, Tenn. He resided in that county until his death, June 17, 1861. During his long ministerial career Dr. Brown labored as a missionary and stated supply in Middle Tennessee and Northern Alabama.
The Rev. Henry Brown
The Rev. Henry Brown was stated supply at Woodstock, 1832-33, but did not join the Presbytery of Winchester.
The Rev. Isaac V. Brown, D.D.
(November 4, 1784 - April 19, 1861)
The Rev. Dr. Isaac V. Brown was born in Pluckamin, Somerset County, N. J., November 4, 1784. He was graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) and studied theology under Dr. John Woodhull, of Freehold, N. J. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick and ordained by it in 1807 as pastor of the church at Lawrenceville, N. J. In 1810 he established the Lawrenceville Classical and Commercial Boarding School and remained at the head of it until 1833, when he moved to Mount Holly, N. J., and was instrumental in organizing the Presbyterian Church now in existence there. In addition he preached at Plattsburg, N. J., and organized a church there. The remaining years of his life were passed in New Brunswick, Trenton, and other places in the vicinity, preaching as occasion required. Dr. Brown was one of the founders of the American Colonization Society and one of the original members of the American Bible Society. He died on April 19, 1861.
The Rev. James Moore Brown
(September 13, 1799 - 1862)
The Rev. James Moore Brown was born in Brownsburg in the Valley of Virginia, September 13, 1799, the son of the Rev. Samuel Brown and Mary Moore. He was educated at Washington College, Va. He studied theology under the Rev. George A. Baxter, D.D., and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Lexington, April 23, 1824. In August he visited the churches of Gerrardstown, Tuscarora and Falling Waters, in Berkely County, Va., and on September 30, 1826, was installed their pastor by the Presbytery of Winchester. He restored the Back Creek Church, 1825-35. In 1835, at the solicitations of the Synods of Virginia and North Carolina, he undertook an agency for the cause of Missions and moved to Prince Edward County, Va., as a more central location for his work. He continued in this work for two years.
In April 1837 he received a call to the Church of Kanawha, then the present churches of Charlestown and Kanawha Salines, Va., where he labored for twenty-five years. He died, June 7, 1862. He married Mary Ann Bell, the daughter of elder John Bell and Elizabeth Sherrard, at Winchester, September 26, 1826. They had six children. His brother, the Rev. Henry Brown, was stated supply at Woodstock, 1832-33, but did not join the Presbytery of Winchester.
The Rev. John Brown
(1728? - 1803)
The Rev. John Brown was born in Ireland. He graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1749. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Castle and was called to the Valley of Virginia. In August, 1753, he was called to Timber Ridge and Providence. He was ordained at Fagg's Manor, October 11, 1753. He resigned the charge of Timber Ridge in 1776, and moved, in 1797, to Kentucky. He died in 1803. (See, Washington and Lee University)
He married Margaret, the second daughter of William Preston, of the Tinkling Springs congregation, Augusta County, Va. They had two sons, John Brown, of Kentucky, and James Brown, of Louisiana.
The Rev. Matthew Brown, D.D., LL.D.
(1776 - July 29, 1853)
The Rev. Dr. Matthew Brown was born in 1776, two years before his father's death. He was adopted in his infancy by his uncle, William Brown. This uncle resided in Dauphin County, near Harrisburg, and it was at a school in that neighborhood that young Matthew was prepared to enter college. In due time he became a member of Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pa., where he was graduated in May, 1794, during the Presidency of Dr. Nisbet. After his graduation he taught, for some time, at a classical school, in Northumberland County. He began his theological studies about the year 1796 and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Carlisle, October 3, 1799.
Two years after he was licensed he accepted a call from the united congregations of Mifflin and Lost Creek, within the bounds of the Presbytery of Huntingdon, and on October 6, 1801, he transferred his relation to that Presbytery and in due time was ordained and installed as pastor of these churches. Here he labored a few years but, receiving an invitation from the Church in Washington, Pa., to become their pastor, and by the Board of Trustees of Washington Academy to become its Principal, he accepted these invitations and moved there in the spring of 1805. During the spring of 1806 the Academy of which he was Principal merged into Washington College, a charter for that purpose having been procured, and very much through his influence, from the Legislature of Pennsylvania. Of the new college, Mr. Brown was elected the first President, December 13, 1806, still retaining his pastoral connection with the congregation. In 1816 he resigned the Presidency of the College, preferring to give his whole time to the pastoral charge of his church.
He was offered the Presidency of Centre College, Danville, Ky., but declined it. He, however, in 1822 accepted the Presidency of Jefferson College, Canonsburg, Pa., and continued to hold the office twenty-three years. For several years after his removal to Canonsburg, he preached a part of each Sabbath, in conjunction with the Rev. Dr. J. McMillan, at Chartiers. After time a separate organization was effected in the town of Canonsburg in connection with the college and Dr. Brown became their regular pastor and continued to serve them in that capacity until he resigned the Presidency of the college, when the pastoral relationship ceased.
In view of his declining health, Dr. Brown, in the year 1845, resigned as President of the College to the Board of Trustees. In accepting it, they conferred upon him the degree of Doctor of Laws, the College of New Jersey, having in 1823, conferred the degree of Doctor of Divinity upon him. After his release from the college, he availed himself of every opportunity for preaching the gospel. He died on July 29, 1853.
Dr. Brown published a Memoir of the Rev. Obadiah Jennings, D.D.; also numerous sermons and addresses.
The Rev. Samuel Brown
(November 18, 1766 - October 1818)
The Rev. Samuel Brown was, on his father's side, of English extraction, and on the mother's side, of Scotch. He was born in Bedford County, Va., November 18, 1766. About the year 1786 he taught at a common English school. In 1788 he became connected with the Grammar school of the Rev. James Mitchell, in his native county. In 1790 he resided at Liberty, with his brother-in-law, where he studied, more or less, for two years. After this he was a pupil at the New London Academy, and finally completed his studies at Liberty Hall. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of West Hanover, April 5, 1793, and after being employed, under the direction of a Commission of Synod, as a missionary in Eastern Virginia, until April 1796, he received a call to the Church at New Providence. This call was put into his hands on the 5th of June, shortly after which his installation took place. Here he remained during the rest of his life. He died in October 1818. He was the husband of Mary Moore and the father of the Rev. Henry Brown and the Rev. James Moore Brown.
The Rev. James Browne
(b. pre 1728)
The Rev. James Browne was ordained by the Presbytery of Suffolk, Long Island, N. Y., as pastor of the congregation of Bridgehampton, in the place of the recently deceased Ebenezer White. He was a graduate of Yale College.
The Rev. Abner Brush
(b. pre 1738)
The Rev. Abner Brush was a graduate of the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) and was ordained to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Suffolk, Long Island, N. Y., June 15, 1758. In 1764 he was transferred to the Presbytery of New York by order of the Synod.
The Rev. James Buchanan
(b. about 1783 - September 16, 1843)
The Rev. James Buchanan was a native of Chester County, Pa. He was graduated at Dickinson College in 1803. He studied theology with the Rev. Nathan Grier, of Brandywine Manor, and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Castle, when he was about twenty-three years of age. His first settlement was in the Presbyterian Church of Harrisburg, Pa. In 1816 he became pastor of the church in Greencastle, Pa., and served there for about twenty years, when, on account of declining health, he resigned his charge. He moved to Logansport, Ind., where he was pastor of the Presbyterian Church until he died, September 16, 1843.
The Rev. Samuel Buell, D.D.
(September 1, 1716- July 19, 1798)
The Rev. Dr. Samuel Buell was born at Coventry, Conn., September 1, 1716. He entered Yale College in 1737 and was graduated in 1741. He planned to spend the usual time in studying divinity but by the advice of Edwards and others, the friends of the Revival, he was licensed to preach the gospel, in the fall of 1741, and went forth as a "strolling preacher."
After having spent a year in visiting different parts of New England, he was ordained in 1743 by an ecclesiastical council as an evangelist. Carrying with him testimonials from respectable ministers, he was admitted into many pulpits from which other itinerants were excluded. He was led to East Hampton, on Long Island, and was installed pastor of the church there, September 19, 1746. He died on July 19, 1798.
He was the father and patron of Clinton Academy in East Hampton. He published a narrative of the revival of religion among his people, in 1764, and fourteen occasional discourses. He was a charter member of the self-organized Presbytery of Suffolk, Long Island, N. Y., in 1747.
The Rev. George Buist, D.D.
(1770 - August 31, 1808)
A son of Arthur and Catharine Buist, the Rev. Dr. George Buist was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1770. He entered the College of Edinburgh in 1787. In 1792 he was admitted as an honorary member of the Edinburgh Philological Society and about the same time published an abridgement of Hume's History of England, which passed to a second edition. He contributed also some important articles to the Encyclopedia Britannica. He was called, in 1793, to the pastorate of the Presbyterian Church in Charleston, S. C. In 1794, the degree of Doctor of Divinity was conferred upon him by the University of Edinburgh. In 1805 he was appointed the Principal of Charleston College, where he served as long as he lived, though he still retained his pastoral charge. He died on August 31, 1808.
The Rev. Artemas Bullard
The Rev. Artemas Bullard was a corresponding member of the Centre Presbytery of Illinois in 1829 and afterwards accepted a call to the First Presbyterian Church of St. Louis. Mr. Bullard was the Corresponding Secretary of the Massachusetts Sabbath-School Union. That "State Union" proposed to take Illinois under its fostering care, as it respects Sabbath-school operations. Appropriate funds to establish a general "depository" of Sabbath school books for the supply of the State, constantly employ a traveling agent or agents to carry the Sabbath-school system into effect, as far as practicable. Mr. Bullard was engaged, crossing the State, to ascertain the existing wants as to Sabbath-school teachers. The object was then to search out and encourage pious lay members of the churches in the older States (male and female) to emigrate to this country and settle down, in their respective occupations, with special reference to Sabbath-school and other benevolent operations.
The Rev. Joseph Bullen
(about 1753 - March 26, 1825)
The Rev. Joseph Bullen was the pioneer of the Presbyterian Church in the Southwest. It is from the traditions preserved among his descendants that the facts of his history are to be gathered. He was a native of Worcester County, Mass. He was born, it is supposed, about 1753. He was educated at Yale College and at an early age devoted himself to the ministry. His first charge was in Windham County, Vt., in which he remained about twenty years. In 1798 he was sent out by the Presbyterian Missionary Society of New York to the country occupied by the Chickasaw Indians, lying in the northern section of the Mississippi Territory, to prepare the way, if practicable, for establishing a mission among that people. His report having been favorable, he was commissioned to open and superintend the mission. For this purpose he moved, in March, 1800, with his family, to Pontotoc, an old Indian town, the field of his future labors.
Rev. Bullen's efforts to elevate and Christianize the Indians were pursued for three years. In 1803 he left the Mission and moved into Jefferson County, in the southern part of the Territory, establishing himself in a neighborhood about twenty miles northeast of Natchez, into which a considerable tide of emigration from North Carolina and the seaboard had been flowing. Supporting himself here by his farm, and by occasionally teaching a school, he became the evangelist of the region. In 1804 he organized the first Presbyterian Church in the Mississippi Territory. It was called the "Bethel" Church, and in the branches into which it was subsequently divided, it still maintains its existence. Mr. Bullen organized several other churches before he died on March 26, 1825. ( This is copied from an 1884 text, and does not reflect current attitudes about missionary work among Native Americans.)
The Rev. Dyer Burgess
(1784 - after 1840)
The Rev. Dyer Burgess was born in Springfield, Vt., in 1784 and began life as a Methodist, then a Congregationalist, then became a Presbyterian. He came to Ohio in 1816 and established the Presbyterian Church at Piqua. He was installed as pastor of the church at West Union, Adams County, Ohio, in April, 1821. Mr. Burgess remained at West Union until 1840. He and Joshua L. Wilson, of Cincinnati, led a movement at the General Assembly of 1818 condemning the system of slavery. He requested commissioners to work for passage of an act making it mandatory for church sessions to refuse communion to all persons who voluntarily sold slaves. The Assembly passed a statement against slavery. Mr. Burgess was a member of the Presbytery of Chillicothe. In 1827, the Presbytery appropriated ten dollars to purchase one hundred copies of a pamphlet from Mr. Burgess on the subject of slavery, to be distributed among the members and, if possible, sold by them at twelve and a half cents per copy, and the proceeds returned to the presbytery.
The Rev. Aaron Burr D.D.
(January 4, 1715 - September 24, 1757)
The Rev. Dr. Aaron Burr was a descendant of the Rev. Jonathan Burr, who emigrated to New England in 1639 and was for some time pastor of the Church in Dorchester, Mass. He was born, January 4, 1715. He was graduated at Yale in 1735. He was licensed to preach the gospel in September 1736 and preached his first sermon at Greenfield, Mass. While laboring at Hanover, N. J., he was invited to the church at Newark as its stated supply for a year, after which he was ordained and installed its pastor, January 25, 1737. In June 1741 the First Church in New Haven called Mr. Burr to become associated with their pastor, the Rev. Mr. Noyes, but the call was not accepted.
On the death of the Rev. Jonathan Dickinson, first President of the College of New Jersey (later Princeton), at Elizabethtown, in the autumn of 1747, the Institution was moved to Newark and Mr. Burr was placed at its head. He discharged the duties of both President of the college and pastor of the church until the autumn of 1755, when his pastoral relationship was dissolved, and he gave his whole time to the service of the college. The village of Princeton having been fixed upon as the most convenient situation for the college, the new edifice was erected there, under the superintendence of Mr. Burr. In the autumn of 1756 the building was completed enough as to be ready for the reception of the students. About seventy in number occupied it.
He died on September 24, 1757.
Rev. Burr printed a Latin grammar, a pamphlet entitled, "The Supreme Deity of our Lord Jesus Christ Maintained, in a Letter to the Dedication of Mr. Emlyn's Inquiry into the Scriptural Account of Jesus Christ," reprinted in Boston, 1791; a Fast sermon, on account of the encroachments of the French, 1755; a sermon, preached before the Synod of New York, 1756; and a sermon on the death of Governor Belcher, 1757.
The Rev. John Burtt
(May 23, 1789 - March 24, 1866)
The Rev. John Burtt was the son of Robert and Jane (Drennan) Burtt, and was born in Knockmarlock House, Ayrshire, Scotland, May 23, 1789. When sixteen years of age, he was seized by a "press gang" and compelled to serve in the English navy. Here he remained five years. At the end of this time, through the aid of a friend connected with the navy, he was released. On his return home he renewed his literary pursuits, and taught school in Kilmarnock until 1816, when he went to Glasgow, Scotland, to attend medical lectures. In 1817 he emigrated to the United States, making his home in Philadelphia, Penn. After the study of divinity in the Theological Seminary at Princeton, N. J., he was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Philadelphia, in 1821, and in the autumn of the same year was ordained by the same Presbytery and became pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Salem, N.J. Here he labored until the autumn of 1828. He then spent a few months in Deerfield, N. J., and in 1831 became the first editor of The Presbyterian. He continued as its editor until November 21, 1832. After this he moved to Cincinnati and in 1833 he became editor of The Standard, a religious paper of the Presbyterian Church. In 1842 he returned to New Jersey, locating at Blackwoodtown, where he labored until 1859, when he moved to Salem, N. J., the scene of his early labors in the ministry, where he died, March 24, 1866.