Biographies are developed by PHC volunteers and staff from original research and from various published sources, such as 1884 "Encyclopedia of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America," by Alfred Nevin. This list is constantly being updated. Corrections and additional materials, such as photos or drawings will be made from time to time. There also is a missionary biographical listing being prepared for this web site. During 2010, there will be a master index of ministers and missionaries to aid in searches. Thanks for your patience. Please email additional information or pictures to the PHC.
Biographical Index of Ministers C
The Rev. David Caldwell, D.D.
(March 22, 1725 - August 25, 1824)
The Rev. Dr. David Caldwell was the eldest son of Andrew and Martha Caldwell, and was born in Lancaster County, Pa., March 22, 1725. After receiving the rudiments of an English education, he served an apprenticeship to a house-carpenter and he subsequently worked at the business for four years. He was graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1761, the year in which President Davies died. After leaving college, Dr. Caldwell was engaged as a teacher for a year at Cape May. He then returned to Princeton and served as assistant teacher in the college, in the Department of Languages. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick, June 8, 1763. After spending some time as a missionary in North Carolina he was ordained at Trenton, N. J., July 6, 1765. On March 3, 1768, he was installed pastor of the two churches in Buffalo and Alamance settlements, in North Carolina. To supplement his meager salary, he purchased a small farm, and about the same time began a classical school in his own house, which he continued, with little interruption, until the infirmities of age disqualified him for teaching. He was a member of the convention that formed the Constitution of the State of North Carolina, in 1776, and took an active interest in the political concerns of the country. He continued to preach in his two churches until 1820. He died, August 25, 1824.
The Rev. Elias Boudinot Caldwell
(April 3, 1776 - May 31, 1825)
The Rev. Elias Boudinot Caldwell (at right) was a son of James Caldwell of the class of 1759. While living in Washington, D. C., as Clerk of the Supreme Court of the United States, he obtained a license to preach the gospel from the Presbytery and preached to the poor of the city. He is especially known for the prominent part he took in the cause of African colonization. In honor of him, the Managers of the American Colonization Society gave the name of Caldwell to a town in their African colony. He died on May 31, 1825.
The Rev. James Caldwell
(April 1734 - November 24, 1781)
The Rev. James Caldwell was born in a settlement called Cab Creek, in what is now Charlotte County, Virginia, in 1734. He was graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1759. In about a year afterward he was licensed to preach the gospel as a probationer for the ministry and in 1761 was ordained by the Presbytery of New Brunswick and probably at the same time installed pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Elizabethtown, N.J.
Soon after Rev. Caldwell's settlement in Elizabethtown, the Revolutionary War began and he entered the controversy. On the formation of the Jersey Brigade, he was at once selected as its chaplain. In June 1776 he joined the Jersey regiment, then on the northern lines, and under the command of his friend and parishioner, Colonel Dayton. He did not remain with the army until the close of the campaign but returned to New Jersey, where he was occupied by his public and parochial duties. To avoid the dangers to which he was constantly exposed from the Tories and the enemy, he moved his residence to Connecticut Farms, a small place a few miles distant from Elizabethtown, where he continued until his death.
In vengeance on the pastor and people, this church was fired on January 25, 1780. On June 7,1780, Mrs. Hannah Ogden Caldwell was shot and killed by a refugee. When the army was reduced to a very low state, as to both pay and provisions, Rev. Caldwell was appointed Assistant Commissary General. As as the "Fighting Parson," he was shot and killed on November 24, 1781. His funeral took place on November 27, 1781.
As a token of the grateful respect and veneration for his memory, one of the townships in the county of Essex has been called by his name. Click for more information on the role of Presbyterians in the Revolution War and Caldwell.
See, entry for his son, Elias Boudinot Caldwell.
The Rev. Joseph Caldwell, D.D.
(April 21, 1773 - January 24, 1835)
The Rev. Dr. Joseph Caldwell was born at Lamington, N. J., April 21, 1773. He entered the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1787. He was graduated in 1791, on which occasion he delivered the Salutatory Oration in Latin. After his graduation he engaged in teaching for a time. He studied theology under the direction of the Rev. David Austin, at Elizabethtown. In April 1795 he became a Tutor in the College of New Jersey and continued to hold the office somewhat more than a year. In the summer of 1796 he accepted the appointment of Professor of Mathematics at the University of North Carolina. On the 22nd of September following he was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick and immediately entered on the duties of his Professorship, being then only twenty-three years old.
In 1804 Mr. Caldwell was transferred from his Professorship to the Presidency of the University of North Carolina. This latter office he held until 1812, when he resigned it and returned to the Mathematical chair, being succeeded by the Rev. Dr. Chapman. In 1817 Dr. Chapman retired from the Presidency and Dr. Caldwell was chosen President again. He died January 24, 1835.
The Rev. Joseph Caldwell
The Rev. Joseph Caldwell was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Root, Ireland, and was received by the Presbytery of Carlisle in Pennsylvania, October 17, 1787. He was the minister of Falling Water, Hagerstown and Williamsport, beginning October, 1788, for a year or more and then was dismissed to the Presbytery of Lexington in Virginia, April 13, 1791. On April 24, members at Winchester complained to Lexington about his irregular introduction, and that the seats in their meeting house had been so distributed as to exclude them from the session. Presbytery wrote them a healing letter and promised redress. On September 30, the Presbytery met at Winchester and received Caldwell and handed him calls from Cool Spring and Winchester, accompanied by formal dismissal of Cool Spring from the Presbytery of Carlisle, which he accepted, April 25, 1792. On May 29, he was assigned parts of a trial and arrangements made for his examination, ordination and installation.
On Thursday, September 27, Presbytery met again in Winchester to ordain Caldwell and install him pastor of Cool Spring and part of the people at Winchester, under the plan of conciliation adopted September 30, 1791, by which he and Legrand were to share the pastoral oversight and to have their own followers. Two Presbytery meetings were held to resolve the dispute re who was pastor where, and eventually Mr. Caldwell asked for a letter of dismissal, which Presbytery granted him Monday, October 1, 1792 at a 6 a.m. session, with a testimonial of sound doctrine and good character. Presbytery then proposed it must declare the pulpit vacant, and both parties unite in one organization under a new man; which proposal both parties declined. (Present nine ministers and three elders.)
The Rev. Archibald Cameron
(about 1771 - Dec. 4, 1836)
The Rev. Archibald Cameron was born in Scotland, about the year 1771 or 1772, but his parents emigrated to America when he was in his infancy. He spent a year or more at the "Transylvania Seminary," now "Transylvania University," and subsequently completed his literary course at Bardstown under Dr. James Priestly. He studied theology under the direction of the Rev. David Rice, at Danville, and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Transylvania, February 14, 1795. On the 2nd of June, 1796, he was ordained and installed over the churches of Akron and Fox Run, in Shelby and Big Spring in Nelson. For several years his labors were spread over a very extensive field, now occupied by the churches of Shelbyville, Mulberry, Six Mile, Shiloh, Olivet and Big Spring, and embracing a circuit of from thirty to forty miles. These churches, with the exception of Big Spring, were organized and built up through his instrumentality. He also organized the churches of Cane Run and Pennsylvania Run in Jefferson County. For many years he was the only Presbyterian minister in this wide extent of country. From 1828 until near the close of his life, he devoted himself to the churches of Shelbyville and Mulberry. He died December 4, 1836.
The Rev. Allan Ditchfield Campbell, D.D.
(March 15, 1791 - Sept. 20, 1861)
The Rev. Dr. Allan Ditchfield Campbell was born at Chorley, in Lancashire, England, March 15, 1791, and at an early age left Great Britain with his father and mother, who settled at Baltimore. He was graduated at the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia. In 1815 he was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Philadelphia, of the Associate Reformed Church, and was appointed by that body to preach in the vacant churches of Western Pennsylvania, adjoining Pittsburg. Soon afterward, he joined the Presbytery of Redstone, of the Presbyterian Church. Moving to Tennessee in 1820, he became pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Nashville, where for seven years he served despite suffering from illness. He returned to Pennsylvania in the spring of 1827 and in the fall of 1828 the family moved to their home overlooking the Ohio River near Pittsburg, where he died, September 20, 1861.
Dr. Campbell was deeply interested in the founding of the Western Theological Seminary at Allegheny. He went to England and Scotland to collect a library for the institution and secured upwards of two thousand volumes. After several years of great exertion, as General Agent of the Seminary, and as Instructor in it of Church Government and Discipline, the connection terminated, in 1840.
The Rev. James Campbell
(pre-1710 - 1781)
The Rev. James Campbell was born in Campbelton, on the peninsula of Kintyre, in Argyleshire, Scotland. Of his early history nothing is known and too little has been preserved of his pioneer labors in later life. About the year 1730 he emigrated to America, a licensed preacher in the Presbyterian Church, and landed at Philadelphia. He soon became connected with a congregation of Scotch emigrants somewhere in Pennsylvania and labored in the ministry with them for a time. He had serious doubts regarding his call to the ministry and even of his own personal piety and he ceased to perform the duties of a minister, believing that it was wrong for him to preach. In this state of mind he heard the famous Whitefield preach and sought an interview with him. Whitefield heard him state his case, removed most of his difficulties and encouraged him to resume his ministry. Mr. Campbell labored for a time in Lancaster County, on the Coneweheog, where the Rev. Hugh McAden visited him, as is recorded in his journal. Mr. Campbell migrated to North Carolina in the year 1757, and took his residence on the left bank of the Cape Fear, a few miles above Fayetteville, nearly opposite to the Bluff church.
For a long time he held his Presbyterian connection with a Presbytery in South Carolina, which was never united with the Synod of Philadelphia. About the year 1773 his connection with the Presbytery of Orange was formed, and in that connection he continued until his death in the year 1781. Mr. Campbell’s preaching places appear to have been three, for regular congregations, on the Sabbath, besides occasional and irregular preaching, as the necessities of the country required. For ten or twelve years he preached on the southwest side of the river below the Bluff, in a meeting-house near Roger McNeill's, and called "Roger's meeting-house." After the death of Mr. Campbell, and about the year 1787, the "Bluff Church" was built. Mr. Campbell also preached at Alexander Clark's, and continued his appointments for a number of years until, about the year 1758, when he began to preach at Barbacue at the house of John Dobbins where the "Barbacue Church" was built, about 1765. Mr. Campbell also began to preach soon after his coming to Carolina at "McKay's" now known as "Long Street," one of the places visited by Mr. McAden in his first journey through Carolina. A church was built about the year 1765 or '66. He performed services in both the Gaelic and English languages. (From Foote's Sketches of North Carolina, 1846)
The Rev. John N. Campbell, D.D.
(March 4, 1798 - March 27, 1864)
The Rev. Dr. John N. Campbell was born in Philadelphia, Pa., March 4, 1798, was a student in the University of Pennsylvania, and subsequently became, for a time, teacher of the languages at Hampden-Sydney College, Va. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Hanover, May 10, 1817, and preached for some time in Petersburg, Va., and also in Newbern, N. C., where he was instrumental in establishing the First Presbyterian Church. In 1820 he was chosen Chaplain to Congress. He afterwards spent two or three years in Virginia. He became in 1823, the assistant of Dr. Balch, of Georgetown, D. C., and continued so from one to two years. In December 1828 he took charge of the New York Avenue Church, in Washington, D. C. In January, 1825, he was elected one of the Managers of the American Colonization Society and discharged the duties of the office for about six years. He died on March 27, 1864.
The Rev. John Poage Campbell, M.D.
(1767 - Nov. 4, 1814)
The Rev. Dr. John Poage Campbell was born in Augusta County, Va., in 1767 and moved with his father, Mr. Robert Campbell, to Kentucky when he was fourteen years old. His father was an elder in Smyrna Church and lived in Mason County. He was graduated at Hampden-Sydney in 1780, studied theology with Mr. Graham and with Dr. Moses Hoge of Shepherdstown, Va., and was licensed to preach the gospel in 1792. In July 1793 he was installed collegiate pastor with Mr. Graham, his preceptor, in the congregations of Oxford, New Monmouth, Lexington and Timber Ridge, Va. In 1795 he came to Kentucky and preached first to the churches of Smyrna and Flemingsburgh. He afterwards preached in various places, among which were Danville, Nicholasville, Cherry Spring, Versailles, and Lexington. He had also studied medicine and was successful in its practice, but only engaged in this because his salary as a preacher was not sufficient to support him.
In April 1801 he resigned a call that he had accepted from Union. He attended the first meeting of the Synod of Kentucky in 1802. He was dismissed to the Presbytery of Transylvania in 1804 and moved to Danville. In 1805-6, by direction of the General Assembly, he traveled through Northern Kentucky, with a view to regulate disorders and revive the spirits of desponding flocks and prevent so far as possible the people from accepting the errors pressed upon them by the New Light preachers. In April 1814 he was received into the Presbytery of Washington/Chillicothe, on a certificate from the Presbytery of West Lexington. In the autumn of 1813 he had moved to Chillicothe and was engaged in the preparation of a work to be called "Western Antiquities," but died, November 4, 1814. Davidson says that "Nassau Hall [ed. Note: the College of New Jersey, lataeer Princeton] was about to confer upon him the degree of Doctor of Divinity, when death prevented the intended honor."
He published a number of articles, mostly controversial. (From the Rev. R.C. Galbraith's History of the Chillicothe Presbytery 1799-1889, Chillicothe: 1889)
The Rev. Joseph Campbell, D.D.
(1776 - Sept. 6, 1840)
The Rev. Dr. Joseph Campbell was born in Omagh, County of Tyrone, Ireland, in 1776. He came with his parents to America in 1797. For two or three years he had charge of a school at Cranbury, N. J. In 1801 he opened an English and Classical school at Princeton. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick, October 5, 1808. In 1809 he became pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Hackettstown, N. J., where he labored for nearly thirty years. In 1838 he accepted a call as pastor of the churches in Milford and Kingwood, N. J. He died, September 6, 1840.
The Rev. William Graham Campbell
(July 27, 1799 - Aug. 2, 1881)
The Rev. William Graham Campbell was the son of Alexander and Jane (Smith) Campbell, and was born in Rockbridge County, Va., July 27, 1799. He was graduated from Washington College, Va., in 1825. He afterwards spent one session as a Tutor in that college. He entered Princeton Seminary in the fall of 1825 and studied there one year. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Lexington, October 23, 1826, and was ordained an evangelist by the same presbytery, April 26, 1828. After licensure he supplied the Church at Christiansburg, Va. (which he began), and at the same time taught at a school there. He next labored, from 1830 to 1841, as a missionary in Greenbrier and Pocahontas counties, Va., supplying the churches of Spring Creek, Anthony's Creek, Little Levels, (now Oak Grove), and one year, also Mt. Carmel. From 1841 to 1843 he was stated supply at Warm Springs, Va. He then became pastor of Shemariah Church, over which he was installed by the Presbytery of Lexington, August 24, 1844, and from which he was released May 3, 1850. From 1850 until 1857 he resided in Staunton, Va., preaching and teaching. From 1857 to 1859 he resided at Salisbury, N. C., having charge of an academy for girls and preaching in adjacent churches as he had opportunity. From 1859 until 1865 he was stated supply to Lebanon Church, Va. From 1860 until his death he resided at Harrisonburg, Va., and, after many years of feeble health, died at that place, August 2, 1881.
The Rev. Hugh Carlisle
(d. after 1742)
The Rev. Hugh Carlisle was admitted into the Presbytery of New Castle before September 1735, probably from Great Britain or Ireland. At that time Newtown and Plumstead, in Bucks County, Pa., obtained leave of the Presbytery of Philadelphia to employ him and he joined that body in June 1736. A call to these churches was presented to him in May 1737 but in August he declined it, on account of the distance of Plumstead from Newtown. He continued to serve them, and was sent, in November, to supply Amwell and Bethlehem, in Hunterdon County, N. J., with other vacancies. He is mentioned as a member of the Presbytery of Lewes in 1742.
The Rev. John Carmichael
(Oct. 17, 1728 - Nov. 15, 1785)
The Rev. John Carmichael was born in the town of Tarbert, in Argyleshire, Scotland, October 17, 1728. His parents emigrated to this country in 1737. He was graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in August 1759. He studied theology at the College of New Jersey, under the direction of the Rev. Samuel Davies, who had then become President of the College, and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick, May 8, 1760. On April 21, 1761, he was ordained to the ministry and installed pastor of the Church of the Forks of Brandywine, Chester County, Pa. This connection continued until his death, November 15, 1785. He was the pastor of that one congregation during most of the American Revolution, and, like most Presbyterian clergymen of that day, he espoused the cause of his country.
The Rev. James Carnahan, D.D.
(1775 - March 3, 1859)
The Rev. Dr. James Carnahan was the son of Major Carnahan, of the Revolutionary army, and was born in Carlisle, Pa., in 1775. He was graduated with highest honors, at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1800, speaking the English Salutatory at Commencement. For one year after his graduation he studied theology under Dr. McMillan, at Canonsburg, Pa., after which he returned to Princeton, becoming Tutor in the college, and pursuing his theological studies under President Smith. In April 1804 he was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick and supplied the vacant churches in the bounds of that Presbytery for some time. On January 5, 1805, he was ordained pastor of Whitesborough and Utica churches in New York, where he remained until 1814, when, on account of his health, he resigned this charge. After teaching for a short time in Princeton, N. J., he moved to Georgetown, D. C., and opened a classical academy.
In 1823 Dr. Carnahan was elected President of the College of New Jersey, Dr. Green having resigned the year before. He remained in this post for thirty years. In 1853, however, failing health and the increasing infirmities of age compelled him to resign. He remained a member of the board of trustees until his death, March 3, 1859.
Dr. Carnahan published a number of Baccalaureate Addresses and sermons and some articles in earlier numbers of the Princeton Review. He also edited the Life of the Rev. John Johnson, of Newburgh, N. Y. in 1856. He expressly stated in his will that none of his lectures or other manuscripts should be published.
The Rev. Samuel Carrick
The Rev. Samuel Carrick was a native of York, County (now Adams), Pa., and was born on July 17, 1760. He prosecuted his studies in the Valley of Virginia, under the Rev. William Graham. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Hanover, October 25, 1782, and was ordained and installed pastor of Rocky Spring and Wahab Meeting-house in November 1783. On the division of the Presbytery in 1786, Mr. Carrick became a member of the Presbytery of Lexington. For several years he seems to have divided his labors between Virginia and Tennessee but he did not settle permanently in Tennessee until about the year 1791, when he was regularly dismissed to join the Presbytery of Abingdon. In February 1794 Mr. Carrick, by their invitation, preached before the Territory Legislature in Knoxville. The same year he was chosen, by the Legislature, President of Blount College, which office he held until his death. During this whole period he had the pastoral charge of the Knoxville Church, and until 1803, of the Lebanon Church, also. Mr. Carrick took great interest in the general cause of education. In 1800 he was chairman of a committee appointed by the General Assembly to prepare a pastoral letter to the churches.
The Rev. Daniel Lynn Carroll, D.D.
(May 10, 1797 - Nov. 23, 1851)
The Rev. Dr. Daniel Lynn Carroll was born in Fayette County, Pa., May 10, 1797. After surmounting great difficulties in the way of getting an education he graduated at Jefferson College in 1823 at age twenty-six. He then took the three years' course at Princeton Seminary, and an additional six months. He was settled over a Congregational Church in Litchfield, Conn., October, 1827. On March 4, 1829, he was installed over the First Presbyterian Church, in Brooklyn, Long Island, but in 1835 resigned, on account of throat-ail, and accepted the Presidency of Hampden-Sydney College, Va. In 1838, on account of theological difficulties, he resigned and accepted a call to the First Church of the Northern Liberties, Pa., where he remained until 1844, when ill-health compelled him to resign. After a brief tour of service for the Colonization Society, he died, November 23, 1851. His wife was Ann Turk Halstead. He published two volumes of sermons, besides occasional discourses.
The Rev. Eli Washington Caruthers
(Oct. 26, 1793 - Nov. 14, 1865)
The Rev. Eli Washington Caruthers was born in Rowan County, N. C., October 26, 1793, of Scotch-Irish parentage and received his preparatory education in the school of the Rev. Jos. D. Kilpatrick. He first entered Hampden-Sydney College, Va., but then went to the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) and was graduated from that Institution with distinction in 1817. He entered Princeton Theological Seminary, and after finishing his course was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick in 1820. Returning to North Carolina, he took charge of Alamance, Bethel, and Buffalo churches, in Guilford County, and was ordained by the Presbytery of Orange at Buffalo, November 10, 1821. He gave up Bethel Church in 1822 and Buffalo in 1846, continuing at Alamance until July 1861 when, due to declining health, he resigned this church also. He died on November 14, 1865.
Dr. Caruthers never married. As the successor to Dr. Caldwell, the first pastor of the Guilford churches, he began early to collect documents and traditions concerning the early settlers, and the times of the Regulation and the Revolution. In 1842 he published in Greensboro, N. C., his "Life of David Caldwell, D.D." This book consists of but one chapter, three hundred octavo pages long, without a table of contents, and with an index of half a page. In spite of this, it is a mine of valuable historical information. At a later date, Dr. Caruthers published two more volumes, containing Revolutionary incidents and sketches of character, entitled "The Old North State in 1776."
The Rev. Wheeler Case
(b pre 1738)
The Rev. Wheeler Case was a graduate of the College of New Jersey and a licentiate to preach the gospel under the care of the Presbytery of Suffolk, Long Island, N. Y., in 1758.
The Rev. Dr. Robert Cathcart
(November 1759 - Oct. 19, 1849)
The Rev. Dr. Robert Cathcart was born in November 1759 near Coleraine, Ireland. He was educated in the College of Glasgow and after being licensed to preach the gospel, preached several years without a fixed charge, until 1790, when he emigrated to the United States. He was settled in October 1793 over the united churches of York and Hopewell, Pa., fifteen miles apart, which he served on alternate Sundays. When the infirmities of age told on him, he relinquished the Hopewell Church, commonly known as York Barrens. In 1839 he was forced to resign the York Church also, after a pastoral connection of forty-six years. He died on October 19, 1849. He was a trustee of Dickinson College and a member of the Synod of Philadelphia. He never missed a meeting of the Synod but once, and that was occasioned by sickness. For twenty years he served as one of the clerks of the Assembly. Although Dr. Cathcart was consulted by other authors, he never gave anything to the press but one sermon, which was a tribute to the memory of his friend, Dr. Davidson, of Carlisle.
The Rev. Samuel Cavin
(b. about 1701 - Nov. 9, 1750)
The Rev. Samuel Cavin was a licentiate from Ireland, and was sent by the Presbytery of Donegal, November 16, 1737, to Conecocheague. This congregation then embraced Falling Spring (Chambersburg) and Greencastle, Mercersburg and Welsh Run. It separated into East and West, and Mr. Cavin was installed pastor of the East Side, November 16, 1739. In the winter of the next year he visited the settlements on the South Branch of the Potomac. The Presbytery of Philadelphia, in May 1741, at his request, dismissed him from his charge at Falling Spring. He spent some time in the summer at Antietam (Hagerstown), Marsh Creek, Opequhon, and on the South Branch. In May 1743 he was called to Goodwill, or Wallkill, N. Y. The remainder of his life was spent in itinerating in Virginia and the other vacancies. He was an occasional supply of Falling Spring and Conecocheague and was invited, November 6, 1744, to the "South Side of East Conecocheague." Rev. Cavin died on November 9, 1750.
The Rev. Jeremiah Chamberlain, D.D.
(Jan. 5, 1794 - Sept. 5, 1850)
The Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Chamberlain is said to have been solemnly dedicated to the Church by his parents in his infancy, in accordance with a vow made by his mother. He was born in Adams County, Pa., January 5, 1794. He was graduated at Dickinson College in 1814 and studied theology for three years at Princeton. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Carlisle in 1817. The same year he accepted a commission from the General Assembly's Board of Domestic Missions to travel, as a missionary, in the west and south. As he was on his way down the Ohio River he received a call from the Church at Bedford, Pa., and after accomplishing his mission at Natchez, New Orleans and Mobile, he returned, in the summer of 1818, and accepted it. Besides preaching regularly in the Church at Bedford, he preached occasionally at Schellsburg and conducted a flourishing school the whole time he remained there.
In the winter of 1822-23 he accepted a call to the Presidency of Centre College at Danville, Ky. He preached regularly during the whole time of his residence in Danville. In the winter of 1824-25 he resigned the Presidency of Centre College and moved to Jackson, La., having accepted the same office in a State Institution in that place. This office he resigned in 1828 and opened an academy, for the instruction of youth, in a church edifice which he had erected in the same place at his own expense. He preached regularly while he was connected with the college and organized a Presbyterian church where none had existed before. In 1830 he was elected President of Oakland College in Clairborne County, Miss., which was established through his influence and was under the care and control of the Presbytery of Mississippi. Here he accomplished the most important work of his life. He was killed on September 5, 1850.
The Rev. Robert Hett Chapman
(March 2, 1771 - June 18, 1833)
The Rev. Robert Hett Chapman was born at Orange, N. J., March 2, 1771, son of the Rev. Jedediah Chapman. He was graduated at the College of New Jersey in 1789 and was a student and tutor of Queen's College (Rutgers), New Brunswick, N. J. He received his doctorate from Williams College in 1815 and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New York on October 2, 1793, as a missionary in the south. He was the pastor at Rahway, N. J., 1795-1801, at Cambridge, N. Y., 1801-1802; President of the University of North Carolina, 1812-1817; pastor of Bethel Church, Augusta County, Va., 1817-22. He was received by the Presbytery of Winchester from Lexington on September 7, 1822, and dismissed, April 12, 1827, to the Presbytery of Orange. He was stated supply at Leesburg, Va., 1822-24, Cedar Creek and Opequon, 1824-27, and died on June 18, 1833. His wife was Hannah Arnette and they married at Elizabeth, N. J., February 14, 1797. They had twelve children.
The Rev. Benjamin Chase, D.D.
(Nov. 20, 1789 - Oct. 11, 1870)
The Rev. Dr. Benjamin Chase was probably the first licentiate of the Presbytery of Mississippi. He was born at Litchfield, N. H., November 20, 1789, and was graduated at Middlebury College, Vt., in August, 1814. After having labored for a number of years as a missionary in Louisiana, he assumed, in 1828, the charge of the "Carmel Church," in Adams County, ten miles south of Natchez, Miss. In connection with this church he supplied, at different times, three or four congregations, including Pine Ridge. At this period it was his custom to preach three times on the Sabbath. In 1830 he enlisted in the work of supplying the destitute regions of the Southwest with the Holy Scriptures. In this work, the whole territory of Mississippi, Louisiana, and such parts of Arkansas and Texas were visited by him and furnished with the Word of God.
In 1840 Dr. Chase was attacked by an aggravated and incurable bronchial infection, and he was obliged to relinquish the use of his voice in public preaching. He was, for a while, after the death of Dr. Chamberlain, the acting president of Oakland College. He died on October 11, 1870.
The Rev. John Chester, D.D.
(August 1785 - January 12, 1829)
The Rev. Dr. John Chester was born at Wethersfield, Conn., in August 1785. He was graduated at Yale College in 1804. He studied theology under the direction of the Rev. Dr. Joseph Lyman, Hatfield, Mass., where he also taught at the same time. In 1807 he was licensed to preach the gospel by the Association of Hartford County, Conn., and after preaching a short time successively at Marblehead and Springfield, Mass., he was ordained and installed, November 21, 1810, as pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Hudson, N. Y. He remained at Hudson until he moved to Albany in 1815. He died, January 12, 1829.
Dr. Chester was Moderator of the General Assembly in 1823. He published several sermons.
The Rev. William Chester, D.D.
(November 20, 1795 - May 23, 1865)
The Rev. Dr. William Chester was the seventh Corresponding Secretary of the Board of Education and was born in Wethersfield, Conn., November 20, 1795. He graduated at Union College, N. Y., in 1815 and studied at Princeton Theological Seminary in 1816-17. He was licensed to preach the gospel, it is supposed, by the Presbytery of Albany, in 1818. In December 1819 he was called to the pastorate of the church in Galway, N. Y. He left Galway in 1822. On September 7, 1824, he was installed pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Hudson, N. Y. On July 10, 1832, at the earnest solicitation of the Board of Education, he could move south to the states of Virginia and North Carolina. Dr. Chester thus entered the service of the Board of Education, and for thirty-three years, in the various positions of Agent, General Agent, Associate Secretary, and finally as Corresponding Secretary, he labored throughout the entire Church in this work, until he retired. Among his last educational accomplishments, in view of the alarming decrease of candidates for the ministry, was the establishment of Cortlandt-Van Rensselear Memorial Institute, the Ashmun Institute, and the College for the Northwest. He died on May 23, 1865. He had the degree of Doctor of Divinity from Washington College, Pa.
The Rev. Benjamin Chestnut
(b. pre 1730 - 1775)
The Rev. Benjamin Chestnut came to this country from England. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New York in 1749. He was ordained by the Presbytery of New Brunswick, October 30, 1751, and settled at Woodbury and Timber Creek, N. J. In May, 1753, he resigned his charge, but for a time continued to supply the congregations. In 1756 he settled as the pastor of Charleston and Providence churches, Pa. In 1765 he visited the South on a missionary tour. At one time he taught school about twenty miles from Philadelphia. Mr. Chestnut fulfilled the appointments of Presbytery, in missionary work, extending as far as Egg Harbor, N. J., and the adjacent county on the Atlantic coast. He died in 1775.
The Rev. John Flavel Clark
(1784 - 1853)
The Rev. John Flavel Clark was born in Allentown, N. J., 1784. His father was Joseph Clark, D.D. He was graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1807, among the first in his class. He then engaged in teaching in the state of Georgia. He began the study of theology at Andover, 1810. In 1812 he was chosen Tutor at Princeton, which position he held three years, pursuing his theological studies under Dr. Green. On June 14, 1815, he was ordained to preach the gospel and installed pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Flemington, N. J. In 1820 this charge was connected with the First Annville, and the two churches were under his care until 1836. He then resigned and became pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Fishkill Village, N. Y., where he died in 1853.
The Rev. Joseph Clark, D.D.
(October 21, 1751 - October 19, 1813)
The Rev. Dr. Joseph Clark was born near Elizabethtown, N. J., October 21, 1751. He was trained to the carpenter's trade, but soon after his twentieth year, he resolved to become a minister of the gospel. He was graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1781 and studied theology under the direction of the Rev. Dr. Woodhull of Monmouth. He was licensed to preach the gospel, April 23, 1783, by the Presbytery of New Brunswick. He supplied the church at Allentown, N. J., for six months, was ordained by the same Presbytery, san titulo, to the work of the ministry, June 15, 1784, and was installed pastor of the church at Allentown, in June 1788. In 1796 he became pastor of the congregation in New Brunswick, where he continued until his death. By appointment of the General Assembly, in 1798 and 1799, Mr. Clark was agent to collect funds for destitute congregations in different parts of the country. After the burning of the College of New Jersey, in March 1802, he also made liberal collections to repair the extensive loss. In 1802 he was elected a member of the Corporation of the College of New Jersey and continued so until his death. He was also, for many successive years, a member of the Committee of Missions, which acted by the appointment and under the direction of the General Assembly. He died, October 19, 1813.
See, entry for his son, Rev. John Flavel Clark.
The Rev. John Close
The Rev. John Close was one of the delegates (commissioners) for the Presbytery of New York at the meeting of the first General Assembly in Philadelphia in 1789.
The Rev. James Coe
(b. pre 1799)
The Rev. James Coe was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Redstone, Pa., and was re-licensed by the Presbytery of Chillicothe of Ohio on October 22, 1817. He was employed by the congregation at West Union, Ohio, but April 3, 1821, was dismissed to the Presbytery of Miami, Ohio, as a licentiate in good standing.
The Rev. Jonathan Cogswell, D.D.
(September 2, 1782 - August 1, 1864)
The Rev. Dr. Jonathan Cogswell was born in Rowley, Mass., September 2, 1782. He was graduated in 1806 at Harvard College. He pursued his theological studies while Tutor at Bowdoin College, Maine, and on October 24, 1810, was ordained to the gospel ministry. He was settled for eighteen years in Saco, until impaired health required a resignation of the pastorate. In April 1829 he became pastor of the church in New Britain, Conn., and continued so five years. In 1834 he was elected Professor of Ecclesiastical History in the Theological Institute of Connecticut, at East Windsor. He died, August 1, 1864.
The Rev. J. C. Coit
(March 17, 1799 - 1863)
The Rev. J. C. Coit was born in New London, Conn., March 17, 1799. When about twenty-four years of age he moved from his native State to Cheraw, S. C., where he began the practice of law and rapidly rose to eminence in his profession. In 1834 he began the study of theology and in 1837 he was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Harmony. Soon thereafter he was elected and ordained pastor of the Cheraw Church. He was the first pastor of this church, all who preceded him having been supplies. His pastorate continued for twenty years consecutively. In 1857 his health suddenly failed, and he never recovered sufficiently to preach. He died in the spring of 1863.
For many years he gave his whole salary to Foreign and Domestic Missions.
The Rev. Lyman Coleman, S.T.D.
(June 14, 1796 - after 1856)
The Rev. Dr. Lyman Coleman was born in Middlefield, Mass., June 14, 1796. He was graduated at Yale College in 1817 and for three succeeding years was Principal of the Latin Grammar School at Harford, Conn., and subsequently a Tutor at Yale for four years, where he studied theology. In 1828 he became pastor of the Congregational Church in Belchertown, Mass., and held the charge for seven years. He was afterwards Principal of the Burr Seminary, Vt., for five years; then Principal of the English Department of Phillips Academy for five years. The years 1842-3 he spent in Germany, in study and in travel, and on his return was made Professor of German in the College of New Jersey. He continued there, and at Amherst, Mass., and Philadelphia, the next fourteen years, in connection with different literary institutions. He again visited Europe in 1856 and extended his travels to the Holy Land, the Desert, and Egypt and after his return he became Professor of Ancient Languages in Lafayette College, until his death. Dr. Coleman's principal published works are: 1. "The Antiquities of the Christian Church," 2. "The Apostolical and Primitive Church," 3. "An Historical Geography of the Bible," 4. "Ancient Christianity" and 5. "Historical Text-Book and Atlas of Biblical Geography."
The Rev. Ira Condit
(March 6, 1772 - October 24, 1836)
The Rev. Ira Condit was a native of New Jersey. He was born near Morristown, March 6, 1772. His early life was that of a farmer. In 1798 he moved to Western Pennsylvania, settling first in Mercer County and then in Washington County. In 1808 he graduated at the Academy at Canonsburg, and after completing the study of theology under Dr. McMillan and his pastor, the Rev. George M. Scott, he was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Ohio, October 17, 1811. The first year of his labor was spent as a missionary, itinerating among the vacant churches and destitute settlements of Washington County. On November 8, 1814, he was installed pastor of the congregations of Fairfield and Big Sugar Creek, Mercer County. In April 1827 he accepted a call to the congregation of Georgetown, or Upper Sandy, as it was then called. He was afterwards installed, for a portion of his time, over the congregation of Amity. This charge was relinquished, April 22, 1829. In June of the same year, he was installed over the congregation of Cool Spring for one third of his time. In this united charge, Fairfield, Georgetown and Cool Spring, he labored until his death, October 24, 1836.
The Rev. Robert W. Condit, D.D.
(September 17, 1795 - February 11, 1871)
The Rev. Dr. Robert W. Condit was born at Stillwater, N. Y., September 17, 1795, and graduated from the College of New Jersey (later Princeton). Licensed to preach the gospel in 1818, he spent a year in travel through Virginia and other parts of the South, preaching as opportunity offered. Returning north, he was settled at Montgomery, Orange County, N. Y., from December 13, 1820, to April, 1830. He then spent a year principally in recuperating his strength, after which, in April 1831 he undertook the care of the First Presbyterian Church, Oswego, N. Y., and kept it for nearly forty years, until his death, February 11, 1871. He sat on the Board of Trustees of Hamilton College and Auburn Theological Seminary and was a corporate member of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions.
(b pre 1738)
Benjamin Conkline was a licentiate to preach the gospel of the Presbytery of Suffolk, Long Island, NY, in 1758, after having been graduated from the College of New Jersey (later Princeton).
The Rev. Hugh Conn
(1685? - June 28, 1752)
The Rev. Hugh Conn was born in Macgilligan, in Ireland, about 1685, and graduated with a Master of Arts degree at the University of Glasgow in 1707. He stayed on another 2-3 years studying theology and philosophy before going to London. In London, Mr. Conn was recommended for the English Colonies and, through a series of letters, accepted. Having come to this country in September 1715 he received a call from the people of Baltimore County and was ordained on the third Wednesday of October as pastor of the congregation of Patapsco. In September 1719 he resigned his charge and immediately took charge of the people on the east branch of Potomac and Pamunkey. Bladensburg is the modern designation of his field of labor. He died on June 28, 1752.
The Rev. Amasa Converse, D.D.
(August 21, 1795 - December 9, 1872)
The Rev. Dr. Amasa Converse was born at the township of Lyme, N. H., August 21, 1795. After teaching for a time, he entered Dartmouth College in September 1818 and graduated, with honor, in 1822. He resumed his work as a teacher, at Chelsea, and in the Sanderson Academy, at Ashfield. His theological studies were pursued, in feeble health, mainly at Princeton Seminary, and he was licensed to preach the gospel by the Franklin Association of Congregationalists. He was ordained as an evangelist by the Presbytery of Hanover, May 5, 1826. He was missionary in Virginia, 1826-7; editor of the Visitor and Telegraph, Richmond, Va., 1827-1839, and editor of the Christian Observer, at Philadelphia, Pa., 1839-61; at Richmond, Va., 1861-69, and at Louisville, Ky., 1869-72. His eldest son, the Rev. F. Bartlett Converse, became associated with him, as editor, in June 1858. He died on December 9, 1872.
The Rev. Thomas Cooley
(b. pre 1755)
The Rev. Thomas Cooley was an Englishman and served the church at Edisto Island, S. C., between about 1776 and 1790.
The Rev. Robert Cooper
(1732 - April 5, 1805)
The Rev. Robert Cooper was born in the North of Ireland in 1732 and at the age of nine accompanied his widowed mother to America. He was graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) under Dr. Finley, in 1763. He studied theology privately and was ordained pastor of Middle Spring Congregation, near Shippensburg, Pa., November 21, 1765. Here he remained thirty-one years. In consequence of declining health he resigned, April 12, 1797, and died April 5, 1805. He was a delegate (commissioner) to the first meeting of the General Assembly in 1789.
Prior to the era of theological seminaries he had a little private Divinity school of his own, which many young students attended.
His printed writings were a tract on "The Signs of the Times," and a sermon preached before the troops.
The Rev. Joseph Copes
(October 3, 1765 - April 6, 1822)
The Rev. Joseph Copes was born October 3, 1765, in Broad Creek Hundred, Sussex County, Del. When about twenty-six years of age he became an active member of the Presbyterian Church and in 1795 was ordained a ruling elder in the Broad Creek Church at Laurel. About 1804 he decided to enter the ministry and studied theology under the Rev. James P. Wilson, D.D. When Dr. Wilson, who was then pastor of the churches of Lewes, Cool Spring, and Indian River, was called to the First Presbyterian Church of Philadelphia, Mr. Copes became his immediate successor, and continued at this post for fourteen years, until his death, April 6, 1822. His wife was Jenny Wilkins White and his son, Dr. Joseph S. Copes, M.D.
The Rev. Wait Cornwell
(b pre 1770)
The Rev. Wait Cornwell was a member of the Presbytery of Long Island in 1790.
The Rev. John Coulter
(June 26, 1784 - December 6, 1867)
The Rev. John Coulter was the son of John and Abigail (Parshall) Coulter, and was born near Sunbury, Northumberland County, Pa., June 26, 1784. After leaving Northumberland, the family lived in Washington County, south of Pittsburgh, for four or five years. During this time his father went down the Ohio River with a boat load of flour and being seized with dysentery, died. His son, John, was about five years old, next to the youngest of ten children.
After the death of her husband, Mrs. Coulter moved to Scrubgrass, Butler County, Pa., in 1797. Several sons had settled there the year before on lands granted by the state. At the age of eighteen or nineteen he made a profession of faith under the ministry of the Rev. Robert Johnston, pastor of the Scrubgrass Church.
His mother died in 1810, in Ohio, where she had moved to live with one of her children. John spent the next two years living with his brother Jonathan in Beaver. He went with a boat load of flour down the river and was at New Madrid on the Mississippi at the time of the dreadful earthquake there. Mr. Coulter narrowly escaped death. He sold the flour and returned home and then to Meadville to consult with his former pastor, the Rev. Mr. Johnston, about studying for the ministry.
He was graduated at Jefferson College in 1819. He studied theology with Dr. John McMillan and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Ohio. He died, December 6, 1867. He was the first man ordained by the Presbytery of Allegheny. This Presbytery, in the record of his death said, "He was ordained, A.D. 1823, and installed over the churches of Butler, Concord and Muddy Creek. (one half of his salary from Butler, one fourth from Muddy Creek and one fourth from Concord). In the year 1833 he was, at his own request, released from the Church at Butler and devoted his labors to the two other churches. In the Church of Concord his pastoral labors extended through a period of forty-one years."
In 1814 he was married to Miss Jane Logan, which lasted for fifty-three years until his death.
The Rev. Samuel Hanson Cox, D.D. LL.D.
(August 25, 1793 - aft 1863)
The Rev. Dr. Samuel Hanson Cox was born at Leesville, N. J., August 25, 1793, and was of Quaker extraction, on his father's side. After he had commenced studying law, he came to the conclusion that God had called him to the work of the ministry and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New York, July 1, 1817. In 1818 he was enrolled among the honorary graduates of the College of New Jersey (later Princeton). In 1820 he became pastor of the Laight Street Presbyterian Church in the City of New York, a charge which he held for thirteen years. In 1834 he moved to Auburn, N. Y., and during the next two years was Professor of Sacred Rhetoric in the Seminary. In 1837 he accepted a call to the First Church of Brooklyn, N. Y., of which he continued to be the pastor, when he was obliged, by loss of voice, to desist from public speaking. Subsequently he was President of the Ingham University for several years. For a short time before his death he lived in retirement in New York City.
In 1823 the degree of D.D. was conferred upon him by Williams College, and the additional one of LL.D., from Marietta College, in 1855, and Columbia College, in 1863. Dr. Cox presided as Moderator of the New School General Assembly, in 1846. In addition to several interesting volumes he published numerous pamphlets and sermons. He was one of the originators of the New York Observer.
The Rev. John Craig
(September 21, 1710 - April 21, 1774)
The Rev. John Craig was born in Ireland, September 21, 1710, but educated in America. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Donegal, August 30, 1738, and was sent to Deer Creek, now Churchville, Md., and to West Conococheague. He spent the summer in those places, and Conewago and Opequhon. West Conococheague called him, in the fall of 1739, but he declined. Mr. Craig was sent, at the close of 1739, to Opequhon, Irish Tract, and other places in Western Virginia. He was "the commencer of the Presbyterian service in Augusta." He gathered two congregations in the south part of the Manor, now Augusta County, and in April, 1740, received a call from the congregation of Tinkling Spring, in November, 1754, but remained pastor of Augusta until his death, April 21, 1774.
The Rev. Alexander Craighead
(d. March 1766)
The Rev. Alexander Craighead was probably the son of the Rev. Thomas Craighead. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Donegal, October 8, 1734, and was sent to Middle Octorara and "over the river," being the first to whom this duty was assigned. He was installed pastor at Middle Octorara Church, November 18, 1735. He accompanied Whitefield while in Chester County. He entertained peculiar views of church discipline and government, which he very earnestly maintained, and which involved him in considerable trouble.
Mr. Craighead is said to have moved to Windy Cove, on Cowpasture River, in Augusta County, Va., in 1749. He joined the Presbytery of New Castle before the fall of 1754. On Braddock's defeat his congregation fled from the frontier and a portion settled in North Carolina. Mr. Craighead met with the Presbytery of Hanover, September 2, 1757, and in January, was sent to Rocky River, in North Carolina, and to other vacancies. He was called, in April, to Rocky River. He died, March, 1766.
The Rev. John Craighead
(1742 - April 20, 1799)
The Rev. John Craighead was born near Carlisle, Pa., in 1742. He graduated at the College of New Jersey in 1763 and studied theology with Dr. Robert Smith, at Pequea. He was ordained to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Donegal, about 1767, and was installed as pastor of Rocky Spring Church, near Chambersburg, Pa., April 13, 1768, continuing to be so until 1798. He died on April 20, 1799.
Mr. Craighead so stirred up the men of that congregation that they organized themselves into a company and went through the Revolutionary War, with their pastor for their captain and chaplain.
The Rev. Thomas Craighead
(d. April 1739)
The Rev. Thomas Craighead was born in Scotland and studied medicine there but soon became a preacher and was settled for ten or twelve years in Ireland. His name occurs, first, in this country, in 1715, among the ministers of New England. On January 28, 1724, he became a member of the Presbytery of New Castle, which then included portions of Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. He was called both to Elk and to White Clay, but he accepted the invitation to the latter place, under the condition that he should give a portion of his time to Brandywine.
In 1733 Mr. Craighead moved to Lancaster County, Pa., and in September of that year he received and accepted a call to Pequea, where he was installed on October 31.
On November 17, 1737, he accepted a call from the people of Hopewell, whose place of meeting was at "the Big Spring," now Newville. His pastorate there was only of short duration. He was now an aged man. Near the end of April 1739, while pronouncing the benediction in the pulpit, he sank down and died.
The Rev. Thomas Craighead
(d. aft 1802)
The Rev. Thomas Craighead was marked absent at the first meeting of the Synod of Kentucky at Lexington, Ky., in 1802 and was designated a member of the Presbytery of Transylvania.
The Rev. Thomas B. Craighead
The Rev. Thomas B. Craighead was the son of the Rev. Alexander Craighead, of Sugar Creek, N. C. He was graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1775 and was ordained to the gospel ministry by the Presbytery of Orange in 1780. For a few months he preached at Sugar Creek and then moved to Tennessee. Here he was brought to trial before the Presbytery for holding certain Pelagian views and the controversy which arose lasted many years. Rev. Craighead was one of the founders of Davidson Academy, which afterwards became Nashville University. It originated in his little congregation, six miles east of Nashville, and he became the first President, holding the position for two years and three months. He died in 1825.
The Rev. Edward Crawford
(b. pre 1756)
The Rev. Edward Crawford was graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1775 and received his license to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Hanover in 1777. On October 27, 1777, he was settled as pastor of the Sinking Spring and Spreading Spring congregations, Va. Sometime after 1786 he moved to Tennessee and took charge of Glade Spring and Rocky Spring churches, where he remained until 1803. Mr. Crawford was one of the original Trustees of Washington College, Tenn.
The Rev. James Crawford
(d. after 1802)
The Rev. James Crawford was present at the first meeting of the Synod of Kentucky at Lexington, Ky., in 1802, and was designated a member of the Presbytery of West Lexington. He was pastor of the Walnut Hill Church. He educated the Rev. John Howe in theology.
The Rev. S. W. Crawford, D.D.
(1796 - 1876)
The Rev. Dr. S. W. Crawford was born in South Carolina in 1796, was a distinguished minister of the Reformed Presbyterian Church and successively pastor of churches of that denomination in Conococheague, near Chambersburg, Pa., and the Second and Fourth Reformed Presbyterian churches in Philadelphia. He was for many years Principal of the Academic Department of the University of Pennsylvania, as well as Professor in the Theological Seminary of the Reformed Presbyterian Church. He died in 1876. His wife was Jane Agnew Crawford, and he was the father of the Rev. John Agnew Crawford, D.D. of Xenia, Ohio, Brooklyn, New York, and Chambersburg, Pa.
The Rev. Robert Cross
(1689 - August 1766)
The Rev. Robert Cross was born near Balleykelley, Ireland, in 1689. He received both his academic and theological education in his native country and came to America when he was not far from twenty-eight years of age. On March 17, 1719, he was ordained and installed a pastor of the Church at New Castle by the Presbytery of New Castle. On September 18, 1723, he received a call to settle over the Presbyterian congregation at Jamaica, Long Island, and between that date and October 10 following, he took charge of the Church in Jamaica. Mr. Cross accepted a call to the First Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, joined the Presbytery of Philadelphia, May 29, 1737, and was installed on November 10 following. Mr. Cross resigned his pastoral charge June 22, 1758. He died in August 1766.
The Rev. Samuel Crothers, D.D.
(October 22, 1783 - July 20, 1856)
The Rev. Dr. Samuel Crothers was born near Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pa., October 22, 1783. In 1787 his father moved to Lexington, Ky. He was educated at the academy in that place and united with the Associate Reformed Church there. He studied theology in the New York Theological Seminary, then under the superintendence of Dr. Mason. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Kentucky, November 9, 1809. The next year he spent in missionary labors in Ohio, Kentucky and Illinois. From 1810 he was settled in the churches of Chillicothe and Greenfield, between two and three years. In 1813 he left Chillicothe, and gave Greenfield all his labors, for five years. In 1818 he moved to Kentucky, but, in 1820, returned to Greenfield, where, from most of his old parishioners, who, like himself, wished to change their ecclesiastical relations, he organized the Presbyterian Church, within the bounds of the Presbytery of Chillicothe, of which he remained pastor for a period of thirty-six years, until his death, July 20, 1856.
The Rev. John Finley Crowe, D.D.
(June 16, 1787 - January 17, 1860)
The Rev. Dr. John Finley Crowe was the second son of Benjamin Crowe, a soldier and officer in the Revolutionary War from Virginia, and was born June 16, 1787, in Green County, Tenn., then a frontier settlement of North Carolina. In 1802 his father moved to Bellevue, Mo. He attended Transylvania University, Ky., 1811-12; was a student at Princeton Seminary, 1814-15; licensed to preach the gospel, 1816, and ordained to the ministry in 1817 by the Presbytery of Louisville. He labored as pastor, editor and teacher in Kentucky until 1823, when he moved to Hanover, Ind., and became the pastor of that church. He was pastor there from 1823 to 1834, and stated supply from 1838 to 1847.
In 1827 he founded Hanover Academy, under the auspices of the Presbytery of Madison, which in 1833 became Hanover College. He continued in connection with this Institution until his death, January 17, 1860. He was the editor and manager of the Abolition Intelligencer and Missionary Magazine, published at Shelbyville, Ky., one of the earliest magazines of its kind published in this country, in 1822-23; and left a manuscript History of Hanover College.
Two of his sons became ministers, and four of his daughters became ministers' wives, one of whom was a missionary in China.
The Rev. Alexander Cumming
(1726 - August 23, 1763)
The Rev. Alexander Cumming was born at Freehold, N. J., in 1726. He was educated under his maternal uncle, the Rev. Samuel Blair, and studied theology with his pastor, the Rev. William Tennent. Licensed to preach the gospel by the New Side Presbytery of New Castle, in 1746 or 1747, he was sent by the Synod, in compliance with pressing requests, and spent some time in Augusta County, Va. He was the first Presbyterian minister that preached within the borders of Tennessee. He was a stated supply in Pennsylvania for some time. In October, 1750, he was ordained by the Presbytery of New York and installed collegiate pastor with Mr. Pemberton, in New York. At his own request he was dismissed from this charge, October 25, 1753.
In feeble health and with little prospect of usefulness, Mr. Cumming remained without charge until February 25, 1761, when he was installed pastor at the Old South Church, in Boston. He died, August 23, 1763.
The Rev. Charles Cummings
(pre 1746 - 1812)
The Rev. Charles Cummings, son of John and Sara, was born in Ireland. Through the influence of his brother, James, who was the captain of a merchant vessel, Charles came to America at the age of eighteen. He entered Carlisle College, Pa., at which he was graduated, and then went to Lancaster County, Va., where he was employed as a tutor and studied theology with the noted preacher, the Rev. James Waddell. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Hanover at Tinkling Spring, April 17, 1766. On October 15, 1766, the Rev. Mr. Cummings received three calls and accepted the one to Maj. Brown's Meeting House in Augusta and filled it until June 2, 1772, when he accepted a call from the congregations of Ebbing Spring and Sinking Spring on Holston in Washington County, where he remained until his death in March 1812.
When he came to Holston he was about forty years of age.
He performed a great deal of missionary labor through an extensive district of the country, beyond his own large field. In the expedition against the Cherokees in 1776, Mr. Cummings accompanied the forces from Holston, and preached at the different stations now included in the State of Tennessee; and in this way was the first minister of the gospel in that State.
Summers' Southwest Virginia says that Mr. Cummings is accredited with the honor of having drafted the Fincastle resolutions which were adopted Jan. 20, 1775; and that he assisted in drafting the petition from the Presbytery of Hanover to the General Assembly of Virginia asking for the separation of Church and State, in October 1776.
He married on February 13, 1766, Millicent Carter, daughter of Thomas Carter, Gentlemen, of Lancaster County, who was born in Lancaster, Aug 9, 1743. The Rev. Charles and Millicent Carter Cummings had the following children: John Cummings, born August 24, 1767, never married; Thomas Cummings, born Oct. 1, 1768. He was educated for the ministry, but died young, unmarried; Sarah Cummings, born March 15, 1770; Mary Cummings, born Dec. 15, 1771; James Cummings, born November 9, 1773, died August 1, 1840; Charles Cummings, born May 10, 1776, never married;, Millicent Cummings, born Jan. 27, 1778; Nancy Cummings, born November 30, 1779, died in childhood; Robert Cummings, born May 16, 1781; Elizabeth Cummings, born April 16, 1783, died in infancy; George Cummings, born May 14, 1784, died in infancy; William Cummings, born October 7, 1788, never married. [From The Descendants of Captain Thomas Carter, by Joseph L. Miller (1912)]
The Rev. Charles Cummins, D.D.
(July 15, 1776 - after 1852)
The Rev. Dr. Charles Cummins was the son of Charles and Elizabeth (Boyd) Cummins, and was born in Strasburg, Lancaster County, Pa., July 15, 1776. He was graduated at Dickinson College in 1800. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Castle in 1801 and soon after was ordained and installed, by the same Presbytery, as pastor of Chestnut Level and Little Britain churches. Here he labored from 1804 to 1808. In 1808 he became pastor of the church in Florida, N. Y., and, with the exception of a year which he spent in Virginia, as agent for the American Colonization Society, he continued his labors in Florida until 1849, when he resigned his pastoral charge. In 1852 he moved to Muscatine, Iowa.
The Rev. Francis Cummins, D.D.
(1752 - February 22, 1832)
The Rev. Dr. Francis Cummins was the son of Charles and Rebecca (McNickle) Cummins, and was born near Shippensburg, Pa., in the spring of 1752. When he was in his nineteenth year, his father moved to Mecklenburg, N. C., where the neighboring college, then called "Queen's Museum," afforded him opportunity for his higher education. Here he was graduated about the year 1776. After leaving college he was, for several years, engaged chiefly in the business of teaching. He was an active patriot in the Revolutionary War.
While Mr. Cummins was engaged in teaching, he prosecuted his theological studies, under the direction of the Rev. (afterwards Dr.) James Hall. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Orange, December 15, 1780. During the year 1781 he preached at Hopewell and various other places and in the spring of 1782, accepted a call from Bethel Church, in the adjacent district of York, S. C., where he was ordained, toward the close of that year. In the spring of 1788, while residing at Bethel, both as the pastor of a church and teacher of the youth, he was elected by the people of York as a member of the South Carolina Convention called to decide upon the Constitution of the United States, and though all his colleagues were for rejecting it, he voted in its favor. Dr. Cummins died on February 22, 1832.
The Rev. Robert M. Cunningham, D.D.
The Rev. Dr. Robert M. Cunningham (who was from Georgia) commenced his labors as pastor of the Presbyterian Church, Lexington, Ky., in April or May 1808 and continued in this relationship fourteen years. The first statement made on the present records of Bethel Church in Fayette County, Ky., is, that the Rev. Robert M. Cunningham declined preaching at Bethel about the month of December 1818. As the statement just referred to shows, while pastor at Lexington, he also supplied Bethel. He settled within the bounds of the Presbytery of Alabama in the year 1826. He was, however, as early as the spring of 1823, present at the meeting of Presbytery and preached the opening sermon. At the organization of the Synod of Mississippi and South Alabama, which occurred, by the appointment of the General Assembly, at Mayhew, Choctaw Nation, November 11, 1829, Dr. Cunningham also preached the opening sermon, and was chosen Moderator. He died in the year 1839.
The Rev. Jonathan Peter Cushing
(1793 - April 15, 1835)
The Rev. Jonathan Peter Cushing was born at Rochester, N. H., March 12, 1793. He was graduated at Dartmouth in 1817. He went to Virginia and became connected with Hampden-Sydney College, first as a Tutor, then as a Professor, and, after the death of Dr. Hoge, in 1820, as President, in which office he continued until his death, April 25, 1835.
The Rev. John Cutherbertson
From National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol XX. No. 4. December, 1932, pp. 16-18.
COVENANTERS AND THE WORK OF REV. JOHN CUTHBERTSON
By Miss S. Helen Fields, Washington, D.C.
Into the midst of these distressed but brave people came John Cuthbertson, sent by the Presbytery of Scotland because of their leading for an Under Shepherd. He set foot on American soil at New Castle, Del., August 5, 1751. With him came his sister, Mrs. Archibald Bourne, with her husband and infant son John, and a colony of Covenanters. Mr. Cuthbertson was the First Reformed Presbyterian Missionary to come to America. He traveled long distances (usually from his headquarters at Middle Octorara, Lancaster County, Pa.) to bring consolation to his fellow countrymen and to others. We find him, old and broken, carrying on up to a few months before his death in 1791. Thanks to Bill Patterson for providing this information.
The Rev. Cornelius C. Cuyler, D.D.
(February 15, 1783 - August 31, 1850)
The Rev. Dr. Cornelius C. Cuyler was born at Albany, N. Y., of an honored Dutch ancestry, February 15, 1783. He was graduated at Union College in 1806 and studied theology under Drs. Livingstone and Bassett. He was ordained pastor of the Reformed Dutch Church in Poughkeepsie, January 2, 1809. He accepted a call to the Second Presbyterian Church of Philadelphia and was installed, January 14, 1834. Here he continued until his death, August 31, 1850.