Biographies are developed by PHC volunteers and staff from original research and from various published sources, such as 1884 "Encyclopedia of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America," by Alfred Nevin. This list is constantly being updated. Corrections and additional materials, such as photos or drawings will be made from time to time. There also is a missionary biographical listing being prepared for this web site. During 2010, there will be a master index of ministers and missionaries to aid in searches. Thanks for your patience. Please email additional information or pictures to the PHC.
Biographical Index of Ministers D
The Rev. Naphtali Daggett
(b. pre 1729)
The Rev. Naphtali Daggett was ordained by the Presbytery of Suffolk, Long Island, N. Y., August 10, 1749, and directed to preach at Smithtown. On September 18, 1751, he was ordained as minister at Smithtown. He was a graduate of Yale College and was afterwards its president.
The Rev. Joshua Noble Danforth, D.D.
(1792 - November 14, 1861)
The Rev. Dr. Noble Danforth was born at Pittsfield, Mass., in 1792. He was graduated at Williams College, with the full honors of the best in his class. He was graduated at Princeton Theological Seminary in 1821 and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick. He was installed pastor of the Presbyterian Church at New Castle, Del., where he remained until he accepted a call to Washington, D.C. After three years he became an agent of the American Colonization Society. He was next pastor of a Congregational church at Lee, Mass. Subsequently he assumed the pastorate of the Second Presbyterian Church in Alexandria, Va., where his labors were abundant. After fifteen years he resigned this charge and again accepted an agency for the Colonization Society. He died November 14, 1861.
The Rev. John Darbe
(b. pre 1728)
The Rev. John Darbe was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Suffolk, Long Island, N. Y., to preach at Mattituck and Aquebogue, April 13, 1749. He held a Master of Divinity degree from Yale College. In 1764 he was transferred to the Presbytery of New York by order of the Synod.
The Rev. James Davenport
(1716 - 1757)
The Rev. James Davenport was born in Stamford, Conn., in 1716, and was graduated at Yale at the age of twenty-two. He seems to have preached in New Jersey at the close of 1737, but preferred to settle at Southold, Long Island, and was ordained to the gospel ministry by a Council (Congregational Church), October 26, 1738. Mr. Davenport preached for a season at Baskingridge, in the absence of Mr. Cross, the pastor. He became a member of the Presbytery of New Brunswick, September 22, 1746, having probably for some time been preaching in their bounds. In 1748 he joined the Presbytery of New York, with a view to settling at Connecticut Farms near Elizabethtown. Having recovered his health, which was for a season impaired, he spent two months in the summer of 1750, in Virginia. During the winter of 1750-1 he spent on Cape May. On October 27, 1754, he was installed pastor of Maidenhead and Hopewell, and that year he was Moderator of the Synod of New York. He died in 1757.
The Rev. John Davenport
The Rev. John Davenport, who had labored many years in different parts of Long Island and Bedford, N. Y., was installed pastor at Deerfield, August 12, 1795. His ministry was terminated, October 16, 1805, on account of feeble health.
The Rev. Robert Davidson, D.D.
(1750 - 1812)
The Rev. Dr. Robert Davidson was born in Cecil County, Md., in 1750. He was educated at Newark Academy, Del., where he served for a time as Tutor. At the age of twenty-four he was appointed Professor of History and Belles Lettres in the University of Pennsylvania, and at the same time (1774), was ordained to the gospel ministry by the Second Presbytery of Philadelphia and acted as assistant to Dr. Ewing, in the First Church.
In 1785, being now thirty-five years of age, Dr. Davidson moved to Carlisle, as pastor of the church there and continued in that connection the remainder of his life--that is, for twenty-seven years. At the same time, mainly through the influence of Dr. Rush, he received the appointment of Professor of History and Belles Lettres, and Vice-President at Dickinson College. He was chosen Moderator of the General Assembly in 1796. Upon Dr. Nisbet's death, in 1804, Dr. Davidson discharged the duties of the office of President, for five years, when he resigned, to devote himself exclusively to his parochial duties. He died, December 13, 1812.
Dr. Davidson's published writings were a variety of occasional sermons, one a patriotic sermon, July, 1775, orations and poems. Of the latter were a geography in verse, which the students committed to memory, and a metrical version of the Psalms, published in 1812.
The Rev. Samuel Davies D.D.
(November 3, 1723 - February 4, 1761)
The Rev. Dr. Samuel Davies was born near Summit Bridge, in the Welsh Tract, in New Castle County, Del., November 3, 1723. He was an only son. After being taught by his mother to read, at the age of ten he was sent to a school at some distance from home, and continued in it two years. Having experienced a change of heart, and made a view of entering the ministry, he engaged in literary and theological pursuits under the Rev. Samuel Blair at Fagg's Manor, Penn. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Castle, July 30, 1746, at the age of twenty-three and ordained an evangelist, February 19, 1747.
He went to Hanover, Va., in April, 1747, and soon obtained of the General Court a license to officiate in four meeting-houses. After preaching for some time, he returned from Virginia. A call for him to settle at Hanover was immediately sent to the Presbytery, but he was about this time seized by symptoms which indicated consumption, and which brought him to near death. In this enfeebled state he still preached in the day, while by night his schedule was so hectic as to render him delirious. In the spring of 1748 a messenger from Hanover visited him, and he thought it his duty to accept the invitation of the people in that place. He hoped that he might live to organize the congregation. His health gradually improved. In October, 1748, three more meeting houses were licensed, and among his seven congregations, which were in different counties: Hanover, Henrico, Caroline, Louisa, and Goochland, he divided his labors. His home was in Hanover, about twelve miles from Richmond.
In 1753 the Synod of New York, by request of the Trustees of New Jersey College, chose Mr. Davies to accompany Gilbert Tennent to Great Britain, to solicit donations for the college. After his return to America he entered anew, in 1754 or early in 1755, on his preaching the gospel, in Hanover. Here he continued till 1759, when he was chosen President of the College of New Jersey, as successor of Dr. Edwards. He was dismissed from Hanover, May 13, and entered upon his new office, July 6, 1759. He died on February 4, 1761.
The Rev. Samuel Davis
(b. before 1685 - 1725)
The Rev. Samuel Davis was born in Ireland. In 1683, he probably accompanied Rev. Frances Makemie, Rev. William Traille (who returned to Ireland in 1690) and Rev. Thomas Wilson (who died in 1702). He helped to establish the Presbyterian church at Snow Hill, Maryland, on or before 1686 and at Lewes, Delaware, in 1692. He conducted a marriage in Snow Hill in February 1684.
Rev. Davis was one of the original members of the first presbytery organized in America, established by 1706. He served at Lewes until appropriately 1707, before returning in 1717. Rev. Samuel Davis died in 1725.
The Rev. Samuel S. Davis, D.D.
(July 12, 1793 - June 21, 1877)
The Rev. Dr. Samuel S. Davis was born July 12, 1793, at Ballston Centre, New York. He was graduated at Middlebury College in 1812 but afterwards received his first degree, ad eundem, from Union College. After his graduation, he took charge of an Academy at Castleton, Vt. After spending a part of the year 1815 in Princeton Seminary, he was Tutor in Union College nearly two years; then returned to the College nearly two years; then returned to the Seminary, and after two years' further study, graduated in 1819. Licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Albany, October 12, 1819, he soon afterwards was commissioned to collect funds to complete the endowment of a Seminary Professorship, which the Synod of South Carolina and Georgia had resolved to found in connection with the Synod of North Carolina. But before the whole sum was completed, the Synod had embarked in the new effort, to found the Seminary now located at Columbia, South Carolina. He was ordained to the work of the ministry by the Presbytery of Albany, August 12, 1821. He was dismissed to the Presbytery of Harmony, September 13, 1821, and installed, December 16, 1821, pastor of the Church at Darien, Ga. This relationship was dissolved, April 5, 1823.
From Darien, Rev. Davis went to Camden, S. C., where he supplied the Church (then called Bethesda) from March, 1823, for nearly a year, after which he supplied the church at Augusta, Ga., in connection with the Rev. Dr. Talmage. On February 4, 1827, he was elected pastor of the Church at Camden, S. C., and without accepting the call, served the church as a supply until January 10, 1833. In that year he was appointed Agent of the General Assembly's Board of Education, and in this capacity raised considerable sums of money, both for the Board of Education and for the Theological Seminary at Columbia, South Carolina. For about eighteen months, in 1841 and 1842, Mr. Davis was Professor of the Latin Language in Oglethorpe University at Milledgeville, Ga. In 1842 he supplied the Presbyterian Church at his native place, Ballston Centre, about a year. On May 4, 1845, he was recalled by his former charge at Camden; was installed as its pastor April 3, 1847, and continued in this relationship until April, 1851. After his release, he resided in Augusta, Ga., where he took under his care and supervision the Springfield Church, a large African-American congregation in or near that city, numbering at one time fifteen hundred members. He died June 21, 1877.
The Rev. William Cummins Davis
(December 16, 1760 - September 28, 1831)
William Cummins Davis was born on Dec. 16, 1760. Davis apparently studied at the Mt. Zion College in Winnsboro, SC. He was received as a candidate for the ministry by the Presbytery of South Carolina on October 12, 1786. The Presbytery licensed him to preach on Dec. 13, 1787. On Oct. 16, 1788, Rev. William C. Davis received a call to be pastor of the Nazareth and Milford Presbyterian churches. He was ordained and installed on April 14, 1789. Rev. Davis was dismissed from the churches on Sept. 28, 1792.
Apparently a controversial figure, Rev. William C. Davis also was prominent as an educator in colonial South Carolina. He was one of the first vocal opponents of slavery. A letter was written by John Wilson of Crowders Creek, Lincoln County, NC, to his brother, the Rev. Samuel Wilson, who was a minister at Big Spring, Pennsylvania, near Carlisle, dated March 7, 1797, regarding Mr. Davis’ concern regarding slavery. Rev. William C. Davis was dismissed from the Presbytery of South Carolina to join the Presbytery of Concord on Oct. 13, 1797, and served the Presbyterian church at Olney, NC, (Lincoln County).
In 1803, the Synod of North Carolina appointed him as a missionary to the Catawba Indians and to run a school for the Catawbas. In 1805, Rev. Davis was stated supply minister to the church at Bullock's Creek. On Sept. 30, 1806, he was received back by the Presbytery of South Carolina to serve as the regular minister to Bullock's Creek.
Due to the controversy over slavery and his book on "The Gospel Plan" in 1809, Rev. Davis was charged with holding erroneous beliefs. After years of discussions, the Presbytery of Orange (NC) suspended him as a minister on April 3, 1811. He was barred from the Presbyterian ministry on Oct. 4, 1811. In October 1813, Rev. Davis and the congregations of five Presbyterian churches in North Carolina and South Carolina founded the Independent Presbyterian Church. At some point in the 1810s, Rev. Davis moved "west."
Rev. William C. Davis died on Sept. 28, 1831, in York County, South Carolina.
The Rev. David Denny
(b. pre 1772 - December 16, 1845)
The Rev. David Denny was the third son of a Revolutionary soldier who fell in battle, when his eldest son was captured by the enemy. He graduated at Dickinson College during the presidency of Dr. Charles Nisbet and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Carlisle, about the year 1792. He was first installed over two congregations at Path Valley, where he continued until the year 1800. In the year just mentioned he was transferred to the pastoral charge of Falling Spring Church, in Chambersburg, Pa., which he retained for thirty-eight years until his retirement. His death occurred on December 16, 1845.
The Rev. Richard Denton
(1603 - 1662)
The Rev. Richard Denton was one of the first Puritan/Presbyterian ministers in the country. He was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1603. He graduated at Cambridge University in early 1623, and was ordained a Deacon at Peterborough, March 9, 1622/3, and a Priest June 8, 1823. By the intolerant spirit of the times which led to the Act of Uniformity, he felt compelled to relinquish his charge, and to emigrate to America. This was before 1638. Mr. Denton first came to Watertown, Massachusetts. Then he moved on to Wethersfield and in 1641 his name appears among the early settlers of Stamford, Conn. In 1644 he is recorded as one of the original proprietors of Hempstead, Long Island. A part of his flock accompanied him from England and also settled with him as their pastor. Thus a Puritan/Presbyterian Church was established in Hempstead, Long Island in 1644. Rev. Denton had some disputes with his congregation about its failure to pay him his due, and was in Middleboro (Newtown) Long Island, 1650-54, and then journeyed to Virginia to find more lucrative employment. By 1657 he had returned to Hempstead and served the church until 1659, when he returned to England, and spent the latter part of his life in Essex, where he died in 1662. He had five children, four sons and one daughter.
Before Rev. Denton left Hempstead the church was troubled with sharp contentions among the congregation between Independents and Presbyterians/Puritans. In 1657 Governor Stuyvesant visited Hempstead, and used his influence to persuade Rev. Denton to continue his ministry there, his own Church affinities inclining him to favor the Presbyterian form of government. But the troubles increasing, Rev. Denton left, and the Independents gained control and had a stated supply for a number of years. Then through these continued dissensions, the large increase of Quakerism, and the establishment of Episcopacy under the English rule, the Presbyterian Church gradually declined and passed out of sight as an organized body. The Rev. Mr. Jenney writes, September, 1729: "A few Presbyterians at Hempstead have an unordained preacher to officiate for them, whom they could not support were it not for the assistance which they receive from their brethren in the neighboring parish of Jamaica."
The Rev. William R. DeWitt, D.D.
(February 25, 1792 - December 23, 1867)
The Rev. Dr. William R. DeWitt was born at Rhinebeck, N. Y., February 25, 1792. His ancestors were among the first immigrants from Holland to New Netherlands, in 1623. His early years were spent in commercial pursuits, but, becoming a subject of Divine grace when eighteen years of age, he studied for the ministry with Dr. Alexander Proudfit, of Salem, N. Y. His studies were, however, interrupted by the War of 1812 against Great Britain. After the close of the war, he graduated at Union College and completed his theological studies under Dr. John M. Mason, of N. Y. In 1818 he was called to the Presbyterian Church of Harrisburg, Pa., and installed the following year by the Presbytery of Carlisle. In 1854 he felt the necessity of taking a colleague, the Rev. T. H. Robinson, D.D., later his successor, and in 1865 was obliged to give up all active duties. Two years afterward, he died, December 23, 1867. The Rev. John DeWitt, of Lane Seminary, was his son.
The Rev. Dr. Ebenezer Dickey
(March 12, 1773 - May 31, 1831)
The Rev. Dr. Ebenezer Dickey was born near Oxford, Chester County, Pa., March 12, 1773. He graduated at the University of Pennsylvania in 1792. He became pastor of Oxford and Octorara churches by the Associate Reformed Presbytery, but in May, 1822, came into connection with the General Assembly. He remained pastor of Octorara till 1800 and of Oxford until his death on May 31, 1831. He was married to Jane Miller, and they had one son, the Rev. John Miller Dickey, D.D. (1806-1878).
He published little, only a tract, an essay and "Travels," in the Christian Advocate.
The Rev. James Henry Dickey
(b. pre 1790)
The Congregations of Buckskin, Concord and Pisgah of the Presbytery of Washington of Kentucky and Ohio presented a call to the Rev. James Henry Dickey in November of 1810 while he was a licentiate to preach the gospel of the Presbytery of West Lexington. He was elected stated clerk of the presbytery in 1817. He asked that presbytery should dissolve the relationship between himself and the church at Pisgah and the request was granted, October, 1817.
The Rev. John Miller Dickey, D.D.
The Rev. William Dickey
(December 6, 1774 - about 1857)
The Rev. William Dickey was the son of Robert and Margaret (Hillhouse) Dickey, of York County, S. C. He was born, December 6, 1774. His parents moved to Kentucky, where he grew to manhood. He obtained an education at Nashville, Tenn., and, on October 5, 1802, was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Transylvania. He was soon after ordained and labored fourteen years with the churches of Salem and Bethany, in Kentucky. Upon the division of that presbytery in 1811 he fell under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Muhlenburg until he moved to Washington, Lafayette County, Ohio (within the bounds of the Presbytery of Chillicothe) in 1817. The Washington congregation divided into two parts that year, with the northern part retaining the name Washington and the southern part being called Bloomingburgh. Mr. Dickey settled in Bloomingburgh where he labored in the ministry exactly forty years. He organized the church there, November 22, 1817, and preached his last sermon to it November 23, 1857. Before moving to Ohio, and for some time after, he performed missionary work.
The Rev. Baxter Dickinson, D.D.
The Rev. Baxter Dickinson was born in Amherst, Mass., April 14, 1795. He graduated from Yale College in 1817 and from Andover Theological Seminary in 1821. He was pastor of the Congregational Church at Longmeadow, Mass., 1823-9; of the Third Presbyterian Church, Newark, N. J., 1829-35; Professor of Sacred Rhetoric and Pastoral Theology in Auburn Seminary, 1839-47, and acting professor at Andover Seminary in the same chair, in 1848. Subsequently, he was Agent and Secretary of the American and Foreign Christian Union, at Boston, Mass., 1850-9. He resided at Lake Forest, Ill., 1859-68, afterward in Brooklyn, N. Y., where he died, December 7, 1875. The Rev. Richard Salter Storrs Dickinson was his eldest son (1824-1856). He wrote the "Auburn Declaration" and was Moderator of the General Assembly at Philadelphia in 1839.
The Rev. Jonathan Dickinson
(April 22, 1688 - Oct. 7, 1747)
The Rev. Jonathan Dickinson was the first president of the College of New Jersey, and was born in Hatfield, Massachusetts, on April 22, 1688. He was graduated at Yale in 1706 and in 1708 was installed as pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Elizabethtown, N. J., which he served for nearly forty years. The charter of the College of New Jersey, which had never yet been carried into operation, was enlarged by Governor Belcher, October 22, 1746, and Rev. Dickinson was appointed President. The Institution began at Elizabethtown, where he served until he died, October 7, 1747.
The most important of his writings are his "Discourses on the Reasonableness of Christianity," and on the "Five Points" in answer to Whitby.
The Rev. Richard Salter Storrs Dickinson
The Rev. Cornelius Lansing Dirck, D.D.
(March 3, 1785 - March 19, 1857)
The Rev. Dr. Cornelius Lansing Dirck was born in Lansingburg, NY, March 3, 1785. He was ordained pastor at Onandoga, NY, December, 1807; this relationship continued eight years; Stillwater, 1814-16; Park Street Church, Boston, Massachusetts, 1816; Auburn First Church, 1817-29; Utica Second Church, 1829-22; Houston Street Presbyterian, NY, 1833-5. He resided at Auburn, 1835-8; in Illinois, 1838-9; he was pastor at Utica, Syracuse and Auburn, 1839-46; of Chrystie Street Church, NY, 1846-8; of Clinton Avenue Church, Brooklyn, 1848-55. He was Trustee of Auburn (NY) Seminary, 1820-30 and 1835-57; Vice-President of the Board of Trustees, 1820-4, and President of Sacred Rhetoric and Pastoral Theology, 1821-6. He died March 19, 1857.
Rev. Dr. Dirck published "Sermons on Important Subjects," 1825.
The Rev. Samuel Doak
(August 1749 - December 12, 1830)
The Rev. Samuel Doak was born within the bounds of the New Providence congregation, Virginia, in August, 1749. He was admitted to the degree of Bachelor of Arts, in the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1775. He taught for a short time in the school of the Rev. Robert Smith, of Pequea, Pennsylvania, then became Tutor in Hampden-Sydney College, where he remained about two years, pursuing the study of theology under the Rev. John Blair Smith, which he subsequently continued for some time under the Rev. William Graham. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Hanover, October 31, 1777. He preached for some time in Washington County, Va. He moved to the Holston settlement, in what was then a part of North Carolina, but is now a part of East Tennessee. After residing in this settlement a year or two, he moved in the hope of finding a more promising field of usefulness, to the settlement on Little Limestone, in Washington County, and there purchased a farm, on which he built a log house for purposes of education and a small church edifice, and founded a congregation known as the "Salem Congregation." The literary institution which he established was the first that was ever established in the Valley of the Mississippi, and he presided over it from the time of its incorporation, in 1785, till the year 1818, when he moved to Bethel and opened a private school, which he called Tusculum Academy. Dr. Doak organized a number of churches in the county in which he lived.
The Rev. Robert B. Dobbins
(August 23, 1773 - August 18, 1854)
Robert B. Dobbins was born on Aug. 23, 1773, in Virginia. He graduated from the College at Hampton-Sydney (Virginia) in 1799. Around that time, he became a Presbyterian minister with the Second Presbytery of South Carolina. The Rev. Robert B. Dobbins became a member of the Presbytery of Washington (Kentucky and Ohio) in 1805 and accepted a call from the churches of Buckskin and Concord. He was installed as pastor, October 3, 1805. He petitioned presbytery in 1808 to dissolve the pastoral relationship and his request was granted. When the congregations next applied for supplies, the presbytery instructed them to pay their arrears to Mr. Dobbins, who was still not fully paid in 1809. In 1818 the pastoral relationship between him and the congregation of Smyrna was dissolved. In 1819, the relationship between Mr. Dobbins and the church at Williamsburg was dissolved, and after this, though for a long time a member of Presbytery, he was not again installed as pastor of any of the churches. He was stated supply at Nevill for one year, for one quarter of the time and in 1826, he was permitted to supply White Oak for one year, for as much of his time as was convenient, and was made stated supply there in 1827 and continued there until he was dismissed to the Presbytery of Cincinnati in 1830. He was received again from that presbytery in 1834, and, finally, in 1835 was dismissed to the Presbytery of Schuyler, where he was to form a church at Bennington, Illinois.
The Rev. Thaddeus Dod
(March 7, 1740 - May 20, 1793)
The Rev. Thaddeus Dod was born near Newark, NJ, March 7, 1740 (O.S.), the son of Stephen Dod of Mendham, N. J. He graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1773. He studied theology under the direction of the Rev. Dr. McWhorter, of Newark, and the Rev. Timothy Johnes, of Morristown; and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New York in 1775. In March, 1777, he made a tour of the West as an evangelist. After preaching in parts of Virginia and Maryland he visited the settlements of George's Creek, Muddy Creek and Dunlap's Creek, and proceeded thence to Ten-mile (or Amity, Washington County, Penn.), at which latter place there were a number of families who had moved from Morris County. After preaching for some time in that region he returned to New Jersey. Being earnestly solicited by the people at Ten-mile to become their minister, he was ordained by the Presbytery of New York, sine titulo, in October 1777 with a view to finding his home in that then distant part.
Arriving November 10 with his family, at Patterson's Creek, in Hampshire County, Va., he proceeded to Ten-mile, where he preached in the forts, and baptized the children, and after a week returned. For nearly two years he preached at Patterson's Creek, and in the adjacent counties in Virginia and Maryland. In September, 1779, he proceeded with his family, to Ten-mile. He organized, August 15, 1781, a church. The first house of worship was erected in the summer of 1785.
Rev. Dod opened a classical and mathematical school near his own dwelling in 1782, which was in operation about three and a half years. Through his influence, and that of Messrs. Smith and McMillan, an academy was instituted at Washington, Penn., of which he became Principal, April 1, 1780, for a single year, at the same time preaching at Washington and Ten-mile. He died May 20, 1793.
He married Phebe Baldwin at Newark, soon after graduation from college; and had at least six children.
The Rev. Samuel Donald
(d. after 1802)
The Rev. Samuel Donald was marked absent at the first meeting of the Synod of Kentucky at Lexington, Ky., in 1802 and was designated a member of the Presbytery of Transylvania.
The Rev. Mr. Donaldson
The Rev. Mr. Donaldson was a missionary sent to Virginia and North Carolina by the Synod of Philadelphia in 1753.
The Rev. George Duffield, D.D.
(October 7, 1732 - February 2, 1790)
The Rev. Dr. George Duffield was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, October 7, 1732, the name having been originally Du Fielde. He was educated at Newark Academy, Delaware, and graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1752. His theological studies were pursued under Dr. Robert Smith, of Pequea. After officiating for two years as Tutor at Princeton, he was ordained to the gospel ministry, September, 1759, as pastor of the united churches of Carlisle, Big Spring (now Newville,) and Monaghan (now Dillsburg). He had espoused the sentiments of the New Lights and met with obstacles from the Old Side party, under the Rev. Mr. Steele. He encountered similarly opposition when he moved, in 1771, to Old Pine Street Church, Philadelphia, over which the First Church claimed to have some jurisdiction. The disturbance rose to such a degree that the aid of the civil magistrate had to be invoked and the Riot Act read. In the end, however, he was allowed to exercise his functions unmolested.
During the Revolutionary war he served as chaplain of Congress. His death occurred after a brief illness, February 2, 1790.
He was chosen the first Stated Clerk of the General Assembly, which post he held at the time of his death. His only published works were, "An Account of a Missionary Tour through Western Pennsylvania, in 1776," by order of Synod, and a "Thanksgiving Sermon on Peace," December 11, 1783.
The Rev. George Duffield, D.D.
(July 4, 1794 - 1867)
The Rev. Dr. George Duffield was born July 4, 1794, at Strasburg, Lancaster County, Penn., where his father's grandfather had purchased and settled a farm, as far back as 1730. He was of Huguenot and Scotch-Irish descent. At the age of sixteen he was graduated at the University of Pennsylvania and then studied theology under Dr. John M. Mason, in New York. He was licensed to preach the gospel in 1815 and before the expiration of that year he received and accepted a call from the Presbyterian Church of Carlisle, Penn. In this charge he remained eighteen years and six months. In March, 1835, Dr. Duffield resigned his pastorate at Carlisle, and after brief settlements in New York and Philadelphia, he was installed over the First Presbyterian Church in Detroit, Michigan, October 1, 1838. In 1862, he was chosen Moderator of the General Assembly (New School), in Detroit. He remained in that city, until his sudden death in 1867. Besides pamphlets and reviews on a variety of subjects, he published, in octavo form, a volume on "Regeneration," and a book entitled "Travels in Europe and the Holy Land."
The Rev. James Dunlap, D.D.
(b. about 1753 - 1818)
The Rev. Dr. James Dunlap was born in Chester County, Penn., and, after being graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1773, acted as Tutor for two years. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Donegal, sometime between 1776 and 1781, and ordained by the Presbytery of New Castle, August 21, 1781. Shortly after his ordination he moved to Western Pennsylvania and settled first at Little Redstone and Dunlap Creek. Afterwards, he became pastor of Laurel Hill Church, where he remained until 1803, when he was elected President of Jefferson College. This post he held until 1811. Dr. Dunlap died in 1818.
The Rev. Samuel Dunlap
(b. pre 1718 - about 1779)
In 1738, George Clark, Lieutenant-Governor of the province of New York, granted a patent of 8000 acres of land, covering the site of the town of Cherry Valley, N. Y., to four proprietors, one of whom, John Lindesay, a Scotch gentleman, bought out his associates and went to settle upon it. While in New York, preparing for the removal of his family, he formed a friendship with the Rev. Samuel Dunlap, a young Presbyterian minister of Irish birth, but educated at Edinburgh, who had traveled over the South and was arranging for a tour through the North. He persuaded him to join in colonizing the land, and while he went with his family to make their home upon it, Mr. Dunlap went to Londonderry, NH, to persuade some of the Scotch-Irish, who in 1718 had immigrated there, to accompany him to it. In due time Mr. Dunlap and his party arrived and, distributing themselves about on the farms they selected, they became the fathers of the place. During the Revolutionary war, Cherry Valley was the site of a famous "massacre" in November of 1778. The pastor of the church, with one of his daughters, was permitted to live, through the interposition of a Mohawk, but his wife was murdered. His house was razed to the ground, and his library scattered, and he was carried away as a prisoner. Released in a few days, he made his way to New York and died about a year after.
The Rev. John Dunlevy
The Rev. John Dunlevy came from Western Pennsylvania. He taught school for some time in Kentucky. He was ordained as pastor of Lee's Creek, Big Bracken and North Bracken, Ky., November 8, 1797. The two Bracken congregations being broken up by removals, he confined his attention to Lee's Creek, in 1798. He afterward came to Ohio. He was a minister affiliated with the Presbytery of Washington in 1799, when his relationship with the church at Lee's Creek, Mason County, Ky., was dissolved. He accepted a call from Eagle Creek, April 8-10, 1800, but there is no record of his installation. He went off with the New Lights during the Kentucky Revival. His work there and at Lee's Creek must have been in addition to that at Red Oak, Ohio, with which his pastoral relation was dissolved in April, 1803, he having been pastor there before 1799. He attended the first meeting of the Synod of Kentucky in 1802.
He published at the Shaker village of Pleasant Hill in Kentucky, in 1813, an octavo of five hundred and twenty pages, entitled "A Manifesto, or a Declartaion of the Doctrines and Practice of the Church of Christ," designed as an exposition and defense of the peculiarities of Shakerism.