Biographies are developed by PHC volunteers and staff from original research and from various published sources, such as 1884 "Encyclopedia of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America," by Alfred Nevin. This list is constantly being updated. Corrections and additional materials, such as photos or drawings will be made from time to time. There also is a missionary biographical listing being prepared for this web site. During 2010, there will be a master index of ministers and missionaries to aid in searches. Thanks for your patience. Please email additional information or pictures to the PHC.
Biographical Index of Ministers Ho - Hz
The Rev. Charles Hodge, D.D., LL.D.
(December 28, 1797 - June 19, 1878)
The Rev. Dr. Charles Hodge was born in Philadelphia, December 28, 1797. He graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1815. He entered Princeton Seminary in November 1816 and remained in the institution for a full three years' course. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Philadelphia, October 21, 1819, and during the winter of 1819-20 preached regularly at the Falls of Schuylkill, the Philadelphia Arsenal, and Woodbury, N. J. In May 1820 he was appointed Assistant Instructor in the Original Languages of Scripture, in Princeton Seminary, which position he held until 1822. He became a member of the Presbytery of New Brunswick, July 5, 1820, and continued as such the rest of his life. Under appointment of the Presbytery in 1820 he supplied the churches of Georgetown and Lambertville for a season and Lambertville and Trenton, First Church (now Ewing Church), during parts of the years 1820-23. He was ordained sine titulo at Trenton, November 28, 1821.
Dr. Hodge's connection with the Seminary continued to the end of his life. In May 1822 he was elected by the General Assembly to the Professorship of Oriental and Biblical Literature; in May, 1840, to that of Exegetical and Didactic Theology; and after 1854, was added to these, Polemic Theology. In 1846 he was elected Moderator of the General Assembly. In 1825 he began The Biblical Repertory and Princeton Review. He died on June 19, 1878.
In 1835, he published his "Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans." Other works followed--"Constitutional History of the Presbyterian Church in the United States," 1840; "Way of Life," 1841; "Commentary on Ephesians," 1856; on "First Corinthians," 1857; on "Second Corinthians," 1859. His magnum opus is the "Systematic Theology" (1871-73), of three volumes, octavo, and extending to 2260 pages. His last book, "What is Darwinism?" appeared in 1874. In addition to all this, it must be remembered that he contributed upwards of one hundred and thirty articles to the Princeton Review, many of which have since been gathered into volumes as "Princeton Essays," "Hodge's Essays" (1857), and "Hodge's Discussions in Church Polity" (editor Rev. William Durant, 1878).
The Rev. William Hodge
(d. after 1802)
The Rev. William Hodge was marked absent at the first meeting of the Synod of Kentucky at Lexington, Ky., in 1802 and was designated a member of the Presbytery of Transylvania.
The Rev. James Hoge, D.D.
(1784 - September 22, 1863)
The Rev. Dr. James Hoge was born in Moorfield, Virginia, in 1784, the son of Rev. Dr. Moses and Elizabeth (Poage) Hoge. His studies, both classical and theological, were pursued under the direction of his father, the Rev. Moses Hoge, D.D. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Lexington, VA, April 17, 1805. He was accepted as a licentiate from the Presbytery of Lexington, Va., by the Presbytery of Washington, KY, in 1806 and was immediately appointed a missionary for three months, in the State of Ohio and parts adjacent. He arrived in Ohio, November 19, 1805. He organized the church at Franklinton, February 18, 1806. Early in the fall, on account of impaired health, he returned to his native State but, his health having improved, he accepted a call for three fourths of his time from the congregation of Franklinton, (Columbus) Ohio, in October 1807 and was ordained, June 10, 1808. In 1808 a number of people on Hockhocking and Walnut Creek petitioned for his labors for one year. He became the minister of the First Presbyterian Church of Columbus, Ohio, in 1822 and stayed forty years. (Really the church at Franklinton just moved across the river and renamed itself the First Presbyterian Church of Columbus, so he was continuing in the same charge.) He was released from his charge, June 30, 1857, but continued to labor as he had opportunity almost to the time of his death, September 22, 1863.
He was a pioneer of the great Temperance reform in the State in which he so long resided. For many years he was trustee of two of the universities of the State. He was one of the warmest advocates of the Bible Society in the West. He was largely instrumental securing the establishment, by the Legislature of Institutions for the deaf, the dumb and the blind, and he rendered aid in the establishment of the lunatic asylum. His daughter, Elizabeth W. Hoge, married Rev. Robert Nall and was the grandmother of Rev. J. Hoge Smith.
The Rev. John Hoge
(ca. 1723 - February 11, 1807)
The Rev. John Hoge was the son of John Hoge, elder in Elk River congregation in 1724, and Gwenthleen Bowen Davis and grandson of William Hoge, and Barbara Hume, immigrants from Scotland in the ship Caledonia about 1682. He was born in Pennsylvania about 1723. He was a graduate of the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1749, and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick, October 10, 1753. In 1755 he was ordained by the Presbytery of New Castle and became the first pastor of the churches of Opequon and Cedar Creek, VA. In 1760 we find him the pastor of Tuscarora, Opequon and Back Creek churches. The congregations fell into salary arrears and in 1761 he asked for dissolution. Matters dragged on until May 17, 1772, when the pastoral relation was finally dissolved by the Presbytery of Donegal, to which he was transferred, May 17, 1759, by the Synod. He served nearby vacancies during and after his pastorate, and over the mountains into Pennsylvania. About 1776 he moved to Pennsylvania, probably to Northumberland County where he was a minister in 1793 and where descendants of his resided in 1904 at Watsontown. He was a charter member of the Presbytery of Carlisle, October 17, 1886 and convener and first moderator of the Presbytery of Huntingdon on April 14, 1795. He died, February 11, 1807. There were at least two children, John and Priscilla.
The Rev. John Blair Hoge
(April 1790 - March 31, 1826)
The Rev. John Blair Hoge was a son of the Rev. Moses Hoge, D.D., and was born in Jefferson County, Virginia, in April 1790. After assisting his father for some time in a school which he had established at Shepherdstown, he entered Hampden-Sydney College, at an advanced standing, where he graduated about the year 1808. He afterwards became a Tutor in the college, his father having in the meantime become its President. He began the study of law but, determining to prepare for the gospel ministry, he became a student of theology under his father, and on April 20, 1810, was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Hanover. On October 12, 1811, he was ordained and installed pastor of the congregations of Tuscarora and Falling Waters, giving a portion of his labors also to Martinsburg. On September 7, 1822, he became pastor of the church on Shockoe Hill, Richmond. Before long his health began to decline and he died, March 31, 1826. He married Ann K. Hunter, Martinsburg, March 6, 1819. They had two children.
The Rev. Moses Hoge, D.D.
(February 15, 1752- July 5, 1820)
The Rev. Dr. Moses Hoge was born in Middletown in what is now Frederick County, Virginia, February 15, 1752. He was the son of James Hoge and his wife Nancy Griffith, grandson of William Hoge and Barbara Hume, who came from Scotland about 1682 and finally settled on the Opequon. He was a student in Culpeper County under Rex Adam Goodlet, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. He served, for a short time, as a soldier in the Revolution. He entered Liberty Hall Academy, at Timber Ridge, in 1778, under the Rev. William Graham. He completed his studies there in 1780 and on October 25 was received as a candidate by the Presbytery of Hanover. He continued his theological studies under the direction of Dr. James Waddel and was licensed to preach the gospel in November 1781. He was ordained, December 13, 1782, at Brown's Meeting House, Augusta County, (now Hebron) VA. He became pastor of the congregation named Concrete, in Hardy County, December 13, 1782, and during his pastorate taught a school which secured important advantages to the youth in the neighborhood. After spending about five years on the south branch of the Potomac and finding the climate injurious to his health, he moved, in the autumn of 1787, to Shepherdstown. He was a charter member of the Presbytery of Winchester and first moderator and stated clerk of the presbytery in 1794.
In 1807 Dr. Hoge was invited to take charge of the academy in Charlestown, about ten miles from Shepherdstown, and to divide his ministerial labors between the two places, but he declined the offer. Shortly, after this he was appointed President of Hampden-Sydney College, in place of Dr. Alexander, who had moved to Philadelphia, and at the same time was invited to be assistant preacher in Cumberland and Briery congregations. After considerable hesitation, he consented to move. He was inaugurated as President of the College during the sessions of Synod in October.
The subject of education for the ministry having been discussed by the General Assembly in 1809, it was resolved to send down to the Presbyteries the inquiry whether there should be one or more Seminaries established. A divided answer was returned to the Assembly, but the Presbyteries of Virginia determined in favor of Synodical Seminaries. The Assembly consented to this, whenever it should be preferred, while the Assembly had yet determined on establishing a central one. The Synod of Virginia, in 1812, resolved to establish a Seminary within their bounds and unanimously appointed Dr. Hoge their Professor.
From this time on until his death he held the two offices of President of the College and Professor of Divinity, under the appointment of the Synod.
In 1819 Dr. Hoge's health began to deteriorate. For several months he was confined to his chamber, and part of the time to his bed, but he still, even in his feeblest state, continued to hear the daily recitation of his class. In the course of the summer his health was so far recruited that he paid a visit to friends in the Valley about Shepherdstown and Winchester, which proved to be his last. In the spring of 1820 he attended the meeting of his presbytery, in Mecklenburg County, and was appointed a delegate (commissioner) to the General Assembly, to meet in Philadelphia. He extended his journey as far as New York, with a special view to attend the anniversary of the American Bible Society. This desire being gratified, he spent a little time at Princeton and then proceeded to Philadelphia. Here, while attending the sessions of the General Assembly, he died, July 5, 1820.
He married Elizabeth Poage, August 23, 1783, daughter of John Poage and granddaughter of Robert Poage, of Staunton, VA. She died June 18, 1802. He married, second, October 25, 1803, Mrs. Willaim Pitt Hunt, born Susannah Watkins (about 1760-1840). Four grown sons by Elizabeth became ministers, James, John Blair and Samuel Davies, and one, a physician, Thomas Poage Hoge, who practiced at Charlotte, Danville and Sutherlin, VA.
The Rev. Samuel Davies Hoge
(1791 - 1826)
The Rev. Samuel Davies Hoge was the fourth son of his father, the Rev. Moses Hoge, D.D., and was born in Shepherdstown, Virginia, (now West Virginia) in 1791. He was the brother of James Hoge, D.D. He graduated at Hampden-Sydney College in 1810, where his father was University president, studied theology with his father and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Hanover, May 8, 1813. While pursuing his theological studies, he was employed as Tutor in the college and after his licensure occupied, for some time, the place of Professor and Vice-President. He was installed in 1816 by the same Presbytery, pastor of the churches of Culpepper and Madison, in Virginia, and preached there until April 1821 when he moved to Ohio. He was a member of the Presbytery of Chillicothe, Ohio, in 1821, having been transferred from the Presbytery of Winchester, Va. He preached at Hillsborough and Rocky Spring in Highland County, Ohio. He requested that the pastoral relation between himself and Hillsborough and Rocky Spring Churches be dissolved in December 3, 1823, which request was granted. He was thereafter dismissed to join the Presbytery of Athens, Ohio, where he had accepted the Professorship of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy in the fledgling Ohio University at Athens. He died in 1826.
He married October 1812 Elizabeth Rice, daughter of the Rev. Drury Lacy. They had four children, the Rev. William J. Hoge, the Rev. Moses Drury Hoge, Anny Lacy Hoge, wife Wm. Henry Marquess, and Elizabeth Lacy Hoge.
Rev. William Hollinghead
(b. pre 1753)
The Rev. William Hollinghead was installed pastor of the church at Fairfield, Cohanzy, N. J., by the Presbytery of Philadelphia, July 27, 1773. In 1783, Rev. Hollingshead accepted a call to the pastoral charge of the Circular of Independent Church of Charleston, SC, the principal congregation in the chief southern capital.
The Rev. Henry Hook
(b. pre 1698)
The Rev. Henry Hook, an Irishman, was admitted to the membership of the Synod in 1718 and preached at Fairfield, NJ, but seems to have never been installed there. Before this time Presbyterian meetings began to be held in Greenwich. Several families of Scotch and Scotch-Irish settled there and trustees in 1717 received a deed for land on which to build a church edifice. A church was organized as early as 1728. Rev. Hook preached for a time in both Fairfield and Greenwich.
The Rev. Josiah Hopkins, D.D.
(April 26, 1785 - June 27, 1862)
The Rev. Dr. Josiah Hopkins was born in Pittsford, Vt., April 26, 1785. He was installed pastor of the Congregational Church in New Haven, Vt., in 1811. He subsequently became pastor of the Presbyterian Church, Auburn, N. Y., but his health failing, he moved to Ohio, where he labored as a Home Missionary in several churches in the "Western Reserve." He returned to the charge of the Presbyterian Church of Seneca Falls, N. Y. His last ministerial labors were performed with the Church of Union Springs, N. Y. He died on June 27, 1862.
The Rev. Theodore W. Hopkins
(January 5, 1841 - )
The Rev. Theodore W. Hopkins was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, January 5, 1841. His father was one of the seceders from Lane Seminary, on anti-slavery grounds, and moved to Oberlin, Ohio in 1848, where he pursued his preparatory studies and nearly completed his college course. He subsequently spent two years in the study of English literature and vocal music, chiefly in New York. In September, 1862, he entered as a Junior at Yale College, and graduated July 1864. The following year he was Principal of a musical school near Providence, R. I.; then for four years, Assistant Principal of the Central High School of Cleveland, Ohio. He pursued a full course of theological study in the Rochester Seminary, graduating in 1873. The same year he was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Rochester and called to the chair of Church History in the Theological Seminary (Congregational), at Chicago, the duties of which he discharged the next seven years. On June 29, 1880, he was ordained as an evangelist by a Council in Chicago. When he resigned the Professorship it was his intention to devote himself to literary work, at home and abroad. Eighteen months were thus employed, habitually preaching on the Sabbath, when he became pastor of the Central Church of Rochester.
The Rev. Azariah Horton
(1715 - March 2, 1777)
The Rev. Azariah Horton graduated at Yale in 1735 and was ordained to the gospel ministry by the Presbytery of New York in 1740. He entered on his labors among the Indians on the east end of Long Island. On August 9, 1749, he became a member of the Presbytery of Suffolk, Long Island, N. Y. He became pastor of South Hanover, N. J., the congregation having been set off from Hanover in 1748. For a long time it was called Battle Hill, and now is known as Madison. He was dismissed in November 1776 and died March 2, 1777.
Ezra Horton was a graduate of the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) and a licentiate to preach the gospel under the care of the Presbytery of Suffolk, Long Island, New York in 1758.
The Rev. Simon Horton
(March 30, 1711 - May 8, 1786)
The Rev. Simon Horton was born in Southold, Long Island, on March 30, 1711, and graduated from Yale College in 1731. He was ordained as pastor of the congregations at Springfield and Connecticut Farms, N. J., before moving to Newtown, Long Island, in 1746. He left the congregation in 1773. He left Newtown when it was occupied by the British and relocated to Warwick, N. J. He returned to Newtown after the Revolution to live with his son-in-law, Judge Benjamin Coe. He died on May 8, 1786. Horton’s first wife Abigail died on May 5, 1752. Ten years later he married Elizabeth Fish, daughter of Samuel Fish. They had one daughter, Phebe.
The Rev. Alexander Houston
(pre 1743 - January 3, 1785)
The Rev. Alexander Houston was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Lewes, about 1763, and was ordained in 1764 and installed as pastor of Murderkill and Three Runs churches, in Delaware, where he remained until his death on January 3, 1785.
The Rev. Matthew Houston
(d. after 1802)
The Rev. John Howe was a native of South Carolina and was in part educated there. He pursued his classical studies in the Transylvania Seminary and subsequently studied theology under the Rev. James Crawford, then pastor of Walnut Hill Church. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Transylvania in 1795. For several years he preached alternately in Glasgow, the county seat of Barren County, Kentucky, and Beaver Creek Church in the same county, at the same time being engaged in teaching a school. Subsequently, he taught some eighteen years in Greensburg, Greene County, preaching during the time to two small congregations in the neighborhood. In advanced life he went to Missouri to reside with his daughter, where he died, December 21, 1856. He was marked absent at the first meeting of the Synod of Kentucky at Lexington, KY, in 1802 and was designated a member of the Presbytery of Transylvania.
The Rev. Joseph P. Howe
(d. after 1802)
The Rev. Joseph P. Howe was present at the first meeting of the Synod of Kentucky at Lexington, Kentucky, in 1802 and was designated a member of the Presbytery of West Lexington.
The Rev. Howell ap Howell
(d. about 1717)
In 1713 the Rev. Howell ap Howell, a Welshman, came and preached to the congregation at Fairfield, N. J., and was installed pastor, October 14, 1715, but died less than two years thereafter.
The Rev. Matthew Houston
The Rev. Matthew Houston was present at the first meeting of the Synod of Kentucky in 1802, as a member of the Presbytery of Transylvania.
The Rev. John Howe
The Rev. Nathaniel Hubbell
(ca. 1703 - ca. 1745)
The Rev. Nathaniel Hubbell graduated at Yale in 1723 and became the pastor of Westfield and Hanover, New Jersey, in 1727, the latter including the present congregations of Morristown, Chatham and Parsipany. In 1730, Mr. Hubbell gave up the charge of Hanover. His death occurred about 1745.
The Rev. James Hughes
(b. ca. 1768 - 1821)
The Rev. James Hughes was a native of York County, Penn. About the year 1780 he moved with his mother and family to Washington County, his father having died about a year before. His education, so far as is known, was under the direction of the Rev. Joseph Smith of Upper Buffalo, in that county, with whom it is also probable that he studied theology. While associated with Mr. Dod he acquired, or rather there was developed in him, a taste for the accuracies and intricacies of science, which he still improved until he became the first President of Miami University. Mr. Hughes was licensed to preach the gospel, April 15, 1788, by the Presbytery of Redstone, being the first preacher of the gospel licensed in the West. Three separate calls were presented to him, one from the united congregations of Short Creek and Lower Buffalo, one from Donegal, Fairfield and Wheatfield and one from New Providence and the South Fork of Ten Mile. The first of these calls he accepted, and he was ordained by the same Presbytery and installed the pastor of Short Creek and Lower Buffalo, in the state of Virginia, April 21, 1790.
He preached his farewell sermon to them at West Liberty on September 11, 1814.
In 1818 he organized the Presbyterian Church at Oxford, Butler County, Ohio, and preached occasionally for this congregation until his death in 1821. He supplied also the church at Seven-Mile in Collinsville, Butler County, Ohio, from 1820 and 1821.
The Rev. Thomas Edgar Hughes
(ca. 1778 - May 2, 1838)
The Rev. Thomas Edgar Hughes was from York County, Penn. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Ohio, October 17, 1798. On August 27, 1799, he was ordained and installed pastor of the Church of Mount Pleasant, Beaver County, Penn., where he labored for upwards of thirty years. He afterwards moved to Wellsville, Ohio, and was pastor of a Presbyterian Church there for three years. He died on May 2, 1838.
He was the first minister of the gospel who settled north of the Ohio River. He performed at least two missionary tours to the Indians on the Sandusky River and in the neighborhood of Detroit.
The Rev. Holloway Whitefield Hunt
(March 31, 1800 - April 28, 1882)
The Rev. Holloway Whitefield Hunt was a son of the Rev. James Augustine and Ruth (Page) Hunt and was born on March 31, 1800, at Ringwood, Hunterdon County, NJ. He was graduated from the College of New Jersey, 1818. He spent a year in teaching a classical school at Lancaster and Easton, Penn., then entered Princeton Theological Seminary and was regularly graduated there in 1822. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Newton, October 2, 1822, and was ordained by the same Presbytery, April 23, 1824. He was installed as pastor of the West Galway Church, N.Y., September 1, 1824, and released, August 31, 1825. He was installed at Metuchen, N. J., April 23, 1828. The pastoral relationship was dissolved, May 7, 1844, but he continued to supply the congregation about eighteen months longer. For nine years (1850-9) he preached to the Congregational Church at Patchogue, Long Island, and for six years (1860-66) was stated supply of the Presbyterian Church at Centreville, Orange County, N. Y. The increasing infirmities of age then led him to retire from the active duties of the ministry. Still he continued to preach as opportunity offered. The last years of his life were spent at Metuchen, N. J. He died on April 28, 1882.
The Rev. James Hunt
(pre 1740 - 1793)
The Rev. James Hunt was the son of James Hunt, conspicuous in the scenes of religious nature in Hanover County, Virginia, during the times of the Rev. Samuel Davies. He was ordained to the gospel ministry by the Presbytery of New Brunswick in 1760. In 1761 he made a missionary tour through North Carolina, being at this time a member of the Presbytery of Hanover. On his return, he preached for some time in Lancaster County, VA. Mr. Hunt passed the greater part of his ministerial life in Montgomery County, MD, where for many years he was at the head of a classical school. Mr. Hunt died at Bladensburg in 1793.
The Rev. Thomas Poage Hunt
(December 3, 1794 - December 5, 1876)
The Rev. Thomas Poage Hunt was born in Charlotte County, Virginia, Dec 3, 1794. He was the son of William P. Hunt and Susannah Watkins, grandson of the Rev. James Hunt and great-great grandson of the Rev. Robert Hunt, chaplain with Capt. John Smith and first minister at Jamestown. He was also the stepson of Dr. Moses Hoge. He was graduated at Hampden-Sydney College in 1813. He studied theology under Dr. Moses Hoge and Dr. John H. Rice and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Hanover, June 17, 1824. After a few years as a pulpit supply in Brunswick, VA, (1826-28) and Raleigh (1828-30) and Wilmington, NC (1832-34), he became a Temperance lecturer.
Rev. Hunt's (photo at right courtesy of Luzerne County, PA, Historical Society) first appearance north was in 1833 as a delegate (commissioner) to the General Assembly in Philadelphia. During 1834-5 he lectured in Philadelphia, New York, and other towns. In 1836 he moved to Philadelphia and in 1839 to Willkesbarre, Wyoming Valley, PA, where he resided. He acted for a time as agent of Lafayette College.
During Mr. Hunt's life he visited twenty States in the interest of his work and delivered upwards of ten thousand lectures and sermons. He labored often as a revivalist. He died on December 5, 1876.
He married Ann Meade Field from Brunswick County, VA. He had four or more daughters.
He was the author of several works. "The Bible Baptist," "The Wedding Days of Former Times," "The Drunkard's Friend," "It will not Injure me," "Liquor Selling a System of Fraud," with various tracts, were published by him.
The Rev. Andrew Hunter
(b. pre 1726 - after 1760)
The first pastor of the church at Deerfield, New Jersey, was the Rev. Andrew Hunter, who, having supplied the congregations of Greenwich and Deerfield for a period of time, was ordained to the gospel ministry and installed their pastor, September 4, 1746. Mr. Hunter resigned from Deerfield in 1760 and from that time these churches became two distinct organizations.
The Rev. Andrew Hunter
(b. pre 1753 - February 24, 1823)
The Rev. Andrew Hunter, the son of a British officer, was born in Virginia. He was licensed to preach the gospel by the First Presbytery of Philadelphia, about 1773, immediately after which he made a missionary tour through Pennsylvania and Virginia. In 1778 he was ordained and then was appointed a Brigade Chaplain in the American army. In 1794 he was teaching a school at Woodbury, NJ, and in 1803, on account of ill health, was cultivating a farm on the Delaware River, near Trenton. In 1788 he was elected a Trustee of the College of New Jersey (later Princeton), which position he held until 1804, when he was appointed Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy. In 1808 he resigned his professorship and took charge of an academy at Bordentown, NJ, but was soon after appointed a Chaplain in the Navy and was stationed at the Navy Yard at Washington until he died on February 24, 1823.
The Rev. Alexander Huston
(b. pre 1740 - January 3, 1785)
The Rev. Alexander Huston, the son of Samuel Huston, was born in Dublin, Ireland, and came to Delaware in the early part of the eighteenth century. He graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1760 and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Lewes, Del., about 1763. He was ordained in 1764 and installed as pastor of Murderkill and Three Run churches, where he remained until he died on January 3, 1785.
The Rev. Simeon Hyde
The Rev. Simeon Hyde was installed pastor of the church at Deerfield, New Jersey, June 25, 1783. Only seven weeks after his installation he died.